Author Topic: Christian Godfrey/Godfreit, mariner of Liverpool  (Read 180 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Christian Godfrey/Godfreit, mariner of Liverpool
« on: Friday 09 February 24 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I have asked this question nearly 20 (!) years ago already (see https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=203367.msg1032080#msg1032080) but unfortunately this ancestor remains as elusive now as he was then.

Christian Godfrey mariner marries Mary Jones by license on 17 Sep 1801. Also mentioned on the (badly damaged and partially illegible) license dated 16 Sep 1801 is William Jones, shoemaker. Her father?

Their children:

1. Frederick b. 13 Sep / bap. 13 Oct 1803; abode Toxteth Park
2. William b. 4 Oct / 16 Oct 1807; abode Toxteth Park
3. Caroline b. 27 Aug / bap. 30 Sep 1810; abode Crow Street, Harrington

On 21 Aug 1818 a man named Christian Gadfrit or Godfreid mariner marries Mary Stocker, a widow.

Nearly a year later on 18 Aug 1819, a child named Anne Godfrey was buried after having died at 11 days old. Abode: Lower Harrington Street, right around the corner from Crow Street. Unfortunately the child was too young to be baptized, so the names of the parents are unknown, but I'm fairly certain she's Christian's. Daughter Caroline marries in 1827, and after having named her first daughter Mary, in 1833 the second daughter is named Ann. This is before brother Frederick marries an Ann in 1836, so she could've been named after a deceased sister.

Going back in time, a mariner on board the ship Thomas at Liverpool named Christian Gottfried - by all appearances from Dantzig or Gdansk, Poland -  drafts a will on 30 June 1800, bequeathing all his worldly goods to "my beloved friend Elizabeth Burrows." However, on 30 April 1801 Elizabeth is sworn in as executrix, which basically means Christian has died.. right?

But what are the chances of two men with a very unusual name and an identical profession roaming about Liverpool at exactly the same time?! Furthermore, another coincidence shows up in the previously mentioned first post..

Christian's granddaughter by his son Frederick - Margaret Ann Godfrey (1840) - pops up in the 1861 census as a 21yo servant at the house of a 30yo 'Missionary and Writer in Biblical Essays'. From Poland. Named Christian Ginsberg.

Now, I know genealogy is literally rife with coincidences and people who seem to be identical, and how easy it is to fall into the trap of confusing one for the other. But this? Doesn't feel like a coincidence. So who is willing to help me and embark on yet another voyage of digging up the roots of (sigh) yet another of my ancestors who refuses to be found?

Please, and thank you!

TD
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!