Author Topic: Parish Register Marriage entry  (Read 415 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Register Marriage entry
« on: Friday 09 February 24 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Help, please, to decipher the second entry in the attached clip, the marriage entry for George Longmore.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Register Marriage entry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 24 23:27 GMT (UK) »
The same day was wedded George
Longmore and Joyse G[?]gge – an(n)o eod(em)
[= in the same year]

ADDED
could be Longmure ?

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 24 23:31 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thank you.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 24 23:44 GMT (UK) »
...Joyse G[?]gge...

The groom in the previous record is:  William Gegge

The first e in the surname here is consistent with the damaged letter in Joyse's entry.

ADDED:

Just noticed that William Gegge married Als Longmore.  Both events were on the same day.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 24 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. I had looked at the preceding entry, but hadn't spotted the fact that the marriage was to Als (Alice?) Longmore. She hasn't cropped up in my research so far as I've only just started to take a look at this branch since the images have come online, but I will now take a closer look. As for Longmure vs Longmore? I suspect that the now conventional version is Longmore, but at that time it could possibly be spelled in many different ways.

Possibly brother and sister marrying sister and brother?

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 24 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking further at the family of Thomas Gegge, and found this burial of his daughter Margaret, but I can't quite make out all of the entry ...

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 24 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Margat Gagg spinser the daught(er)
of Thomas Gagg was buried the
vjth of february an(n)o ut sup(ra)
[= in the year as above]

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 February 24 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bookbox. I had thought it was spinser after the surname, but I'm puzzled as to what it means. Could it be spinster? But if so, why?

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 24 01:50 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion both surnames in this burial record are:  Gegg

In Margat's surname, the e is of the type seen twice in the.  In Thomas's surname it is the type seen most clearly in spinser and a little less clearly in buried.

Unlike his e the writer's a is clear and unvarying.

Could it be spinster? But if so, why?

Use of spinster in this context is quite common and just indicates the person's unmarried status.  It helps to distinguish this person from the burials of what could be many other married Margaret Geggs in the area.

In relation to your questions in Reply #4, at this time and in this context I would say Alice is intended.

It does look like possible sisters and brothers but it's hard to be sure.  One pair could be from a different generation.