Author Topic: WW2 Service Record for West Indies personnel  (Read 160 times)

Offline Stirrick

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 Service Record for West Indies personnel
« on: Saturday 10 February 24 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I have a lady from Barbadoes who served in the ATS during WW2.

Despite providing her Service Number, TNA/MoD are unable to locate her Service Record.

My understanding is that all ATS records are centralised and so her Service Record should be available. But am I missing a trick ? Were records relating to personnel from the West Indies returned to a depository there ?

I can't find anything on this online but wondered if anyone could put me right ?

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Service Record for West Indies personnel
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 24 17:50 GMT (UK) »
ATS Service records (1938-1949)
These records have been transferred to The National Archives as part of the Ministry of Defence service records project. As they have only very recently been transferred, most of the records are currently unfindable in TNA's catalogue.

Refer to this webpage for additional information: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/women-in-british-army/

Offline Stirrick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Service Record for West Indies personnel
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 24 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ashtone

I'm fine with getting the Record from TNA under FOI, I'm just struggling to understand why they can't locate this one in particular. The Serial Number should be a clear signpost.

Which is what made me think that the West Indies ones may have been moved on else where. Doesn't seem right, but I did wonder.