Author Topic: George GARROD, born c1833 (?)  (Read 505 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George GARROD, born c1833 (?)
« on: Saturday 10 February 24 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

George GARROD was born c1833 (?), the illegitimate son of George EDWARDS, a small farm owner, and Mary GARROD.   Actual place of birth unknown.   He had a Grandfather, William GARROD, who lived at Nedging, Nr. Bildeston, Suffolk.

In July 1844 he was sentenced to 15 years transportation at Ipswich Assizes for Arson and after 3 years at Parkhurst Prison his sentence was commuted and he was sent to the Philanthropic Institute in Redhill, Surrey, from where he was eventually released in 1848 to take up an apprenticeship at a shoe factory in Camberwell New Road, Camberwell.

Tracing him from this point onwards has proved a little problematic.   I have relied on the available successive Census returns of 1871 and 1891, which could possibly relate to him and show:

1871 he is married to a "Selina", living in Staffordshire and working as a Shoemaker:
1891 now living in Marylebone with his wife Selina and working as a Shoemaker.

I would be grateful for any help and suggestions.

Thank you,

BAC3

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George GARROD, born c1833 (?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 24 11:50 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 24 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Suffolk Chronicle 21 March 1865:

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 24 12:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage June 6th 1899, St John, Fitzroy Square, London

John MAY 56 widower, boot closer, and Selina GARROD 50 widow

her father Joseph CHULT (deceased)

Found them in 1901 (John May, 58, boot closer), and she gives her age and birthplace as 51, Birmingham

She seems to have died in 1907 (registration, burial and probate records, the last confirmed by her husband's name and occupation)

ADDED: in 1901 she is a boot machinist, which is the same occupation as Selina Garrod in previous censuses
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 24 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Possible death?

George Garrod
Q4 1898 Pancras, London
age 59

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 24 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your messages.

First:   ShaunJ.......I am not sure this is the same George GARROD.   Records show only one George sentenced in 1854, that being for 4 years in June and he was released in 1858.   There is another entry earlier in January resulting in an acquittal.   The Philanthropic Institute records that in December 1856 George visited the Chaplain confirming that he was in business for himself in Hackney Road, London, and there was no mention of 1854 imprisonment.   And it does appear he had been living permanently in London since February 1848 when released by the Institute to take up his apprenticeship in the Shoe Factory.   It is very confusing I'm afraid with these other George GARROD's from Suffolk.

Second:   AlanBoyd.....Your research is excellent not only for my timeline, but to research Selina CHULT and her marriage to George GARROD.

Thank you both again

BAC3

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 24 14:40 GMT (UK) »
1851 census: St Thomas's Hospital, Southwark. There's a patient enumerated as George Garrett, 18, a shoemaker from Nedging, Suffolk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 February 24 15:07 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for the 1851 Census detail.......the Philanthropic Institute mentioned he had been in St. Thomas's hospital during that year, but no explanation.

Sadly, despite my enthusiasm, Selina's maiden name (?) CHULT produced no other connection except her marriage to John May!!!

BAC3

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 February 24 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I meant to say that I didn’t see anything obvious. I don’t know if you have looked at the original of the marriage document, but the “C” of Chult is a little odd – but I can’t think of any alternative.

No sign of a Joseph Chult either. My guess is that is a mishearing/mistake of some kind.