Author Topic: 500 4th cousins  (Read 657 times)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
500 4th cousins
« on: Saturday 10 February 24 12:24 GMT (UK) »
My Ancestry DNA profile reached 500 4th cousins this morning.  How common is this? (My wife's is at 370).

Despite this some lines have yet to reveal any 3rd cousins let alone 4th cousins

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 500 4th cousins
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 24 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry only gives guesstimates for degrees of cousinship, so I'm not sure how you came to that figure. Did you count individually all those that are labelled 4th cousin? Also their estimates are often in the form of  3-4 or 4-6. There are also removes to consider.

Have you checked Painter to see the range of shared cMs that is attributed to this degree of cousinship?

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

For what it's worth, Ancestry calculate that I have 660 4th cousins or closer.

Gadget

Add - just checked Painter. It give a range of 0-139 shared cMs to cover 4th cousins +removes
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 24 15:31 GMT (UK) »
549 @ 4C or closer.

106 DNA “Cousins” already added to my family tree.

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 24 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi @Gadget,

When I log on to my homepage on a laptop and check my DNA Results Summary I see three panes; Origins, DNA Matches & ThruLines. The middle pane has photos of new DNA Matches who have also attached a photo to their profile. Underneath the photos it tells me that I have 113 4th Cousins or Closer. This is how Petros knew how many 4th Cousins or Closer were matching.  This information is not available through the Ancestry App on iPhone.

For comparison my half-sibling has 260 4th Cousins or Closer. I manage two other accounts and they have 255 and 650. It is pretty variable!

pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 24 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi pughcd  :)

That's what I thought but Petros said just 4th cousins so I wanted to check. My 660 is the total of 4th cousins or closer.

As I said, it's just an estimate and Painter gives better results using cMs.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 24 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I checked my Ancestry DNA results and it says "1000+ 4th cousins or closer"
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 24 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I've got  a vague recollection that something like this was discussed a few years back. Was it decided that it depended upon how many matches that were from USA  :-\

I have a few lines who went over to US or Canada and I think you do also, aghadowey?

Gadget

Add - this might be the thread:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=858940.0

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 24 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I have well over 1000.

Depends on whether your folks heeded the Biblical injunctions I guess....
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 24 08:53 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Gadget.

I  personally think if you have  ancestors from  countries that had a high emigration rate to the US  you will  have  far more matches, as America obviously has the most people in this world that has taken the DNA tests.

By far the most matches I have is from my mother's  sides ( my mum is Irish) , where my paternal sides didn't emigrate to the same high extent  that my mother's sides did( father is Welsh) . My  own Irish  families did not  have any more children than my Welsh families did , I think my welsh lot had more children, without counting them all.

My paternal side accounts for only 7000 DNA matches, whilst maternal is over  19000 DNA matches ( minus my close  family such as 1st , 2nd and   some third cousins , the rest are just
 countless  Americans in that 19000 from my maternal side  )
 I know many of my mum's  lot migrated to America, where only  a few of my father's  lot did. I have quite a few known ones in the US 
A few on my father's  side emigrated to Pennsylvania with the coal , but  not many, I can literally  count on one hand that the ones that emigrated to the US from  my dad's side, where I can't  count off hand with my mother's  sides, it would take me a good  while to look through my tree and count all of the ones that emigrated there,  there are heaps of them .

Mine says I have  793 4th or closer  ,which considering  above, the huge difference between my maternal and paternal figures , 19000 compared to 7000,  the majority within  that 793 figure will be from  my mother's sides  and not my father's sides.
My guess is if I had two Irish parents, and not one, my figure would be  over 1000 , or if I had two Welsh parents instead of the one,  my  figure would be lot less than that 793 .

It's the same with my child's  DNA too, he has over double the amount of matches  on his maternal side ( me)  than his father's / my hubby sides ( hubby is basically 100% welsh minus his Finnish gg grandfather )

Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u