Author Topic: Service records with redactions  (Read 264 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Service records with redactions
« on: Saturday 10 February 24 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Disappointingly, a WW2 RAF service record I've applied for has finally come through from the MoD but with redactions on anything remotely third party. 

Apparently this is because these are now supplied via FoI requests and thus the info is available to all, not just next of kin.

Those I applied for under the old system (with a fee, and proof of relationship) have all info included. 

It's so frustrating because I was hoping to see my uncle's employment prior to joining up (in 1941), who he'd put down as next of kin, and in particular their address(es).  Although his actual service record is of interest (he was killed in action in 1944), it really was his personal details at the time that I wanted. 

Anyone know of how to obtain a non-redacted record?  The MoD said because it was under FoI there is no avenue to obtain one.  But I'm wondering if there is a non-FoI avenue to pursue?

Thanks.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Service records with redactions
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 24 13:05 GMT (UK) »
The MoD has replied to me to say there is no non-FoI avenue for a non-redacted record either.

I've asked if after a certain length of time (eg 100 years) the records will be fully visible.  And if so, what the time limit is and what year it is calculated from.

Looking like a quest for the next generation, if they are interested that is.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 24 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you found your uncle in the 1939 register?

Is there a record for him on CWGC site with a next of kin?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 24 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood

My uncle isn’t a total mystery but I wanted to flesh out some details to confirm family anecdotes.

I know his address and who his next of kin were, but not the address of his father in 1941 (parents had divorced years before). His father moved around quite a bit and was not living at his 1939 register address by then. Of course there are few electoral records to help much during the war years, since no elections were held. Perhaps as more become digitised it’ll be easier to search but I don’t know which area he lived in to start a search.

I’m also not sure where he worked in 1941. That’s just curiosity to fill in a gap.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 24 14:14 GMT (UK) »
My understanding is that if you are able to visit TNA in person you can see his file in the reading room provided he was born more than 100 115 years ago. In that case since it's not an FIO request, you get to see everything unredacted.
More details here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTkVFYvUZYM

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 24 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Just to update my previous posting, the records will not be available in the TNA reading room until 115 years after the date of birth.
However Ancestry are currently digitising a lot of these records, and these records will be available on Ancestry after 100 years from the date of birth, less any any medical information. Presumably the names and details of other people mentioned will not be redacted.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 24 17:33 GMT (UK) »
That sounds hopeful as he was born in 1920.

Wonder when Ancestry will start releasing digitised files?

Also for the TNA, how would you request an individual’s file I wonder as I’m not sure how they would all be catalogued and given reference numbers.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 24 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 24 17:41 GMT (UK) »