Author Topic: Edge & McAfee  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edge & McAfee
« on: Saturday 10 February 24 13:49 GMT (UK) »
How can I remove the above from my Windows 11 PC? Microsoft seem to force these on me even if I don't want them! I've already got an antivirus program so why would I need another one!
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edge & McAfee
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 24 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I can see Edge on the list of apps but I can't uninstall it only modify it!
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 24 10:47 GMT (UK) »
If you prefer to use another browser instead of Edge (Chrome, Firefox, etc), then install that and make sure it is set to the default. Yes Windows will nag you from time to time to ensure you don't want Edge as your default browser, but apart from that you should be able to use your preferred option without too much issue.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 24 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I've already got a default browser but Edge still lingers and starts whenever it feels like it!
Cr

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 24 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I've already got a default browser but Edge still lingers and starts whenever it feels like it!
Cr

Same thing here!
Whenever my PC is slowing down it's almost always Edge causing the problem.
I just start Task Manager and "End Task".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 24 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 24 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes and it's very complicated but thank you Gadget.
Cr

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 24 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Cr

Same thing here!
Whenever my PC is slowing down it's almost always Edge causing the problem.
I just start Task Manager and "End Task".

Windows UPDATES seems to switch processes back ON even though yuo've successfully Disabled them in 'Services MSC'.
Apart from the dreaded and much hated 'antimalware part of Windows Defender' always running and using CPU and hogging Memory another Culprit which slows your computer down is the notoriously inefficient SEARCH function, or more especially its INDEXING process.
For years I have used Everything from Voidtools to search my computer files, fast & reliable.
After my last Windows Update the computer slowed to a crawl with 23% of my CPU and 50% of my RAM memory in constant use even with no apps running I detected the main culprit to be the now switched ON again Search INDEXING which was not only indexing file names but Content as well.
So I Disabled Windows Search & INDEXING and re-installed Everything from Voidtools and now I am whizzing along again.
I suspect if you disable Edge it will be activated again by Microsoft at your next update.
It doesn't matter much if Windows background processes are ON and RUNNING as long as they are using minimal CPU time and very little RAM.
My other computer is using LINUX, Peppermint 10 distro, and goes at speed even though it is on a 12 year old computer.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.