Author Topic: Edge & McAfee  (Read 1485 times)

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edge & McAfee
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I have to question the advice to install "everything from voidtools" - while it may have been provided with good intention, it seems to be aimed at addressing a problem the original poster has not described. Can we stick with the Edge and McAfee issues in the meantime, please?

There's an article here to remove an unwanted McAfee installation - https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view
If the Windows (de)installer fails to work, then there is the MCPR which should help.

As for Edge, my recommendation is to not attempt to uninstall it but it can be shut up fairly successfully if you prefer to use a different browser. Let us know what you have done so far.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Well Angus, at the risk of being called out as an Anti-pedant can I refer you to the Original Poster's Reply #12.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 20:51 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't show Edge unless it's hidden but McAfee as attached

Uninstall all MacAfee elements and make Firefox the Default browser or whatever browser you want to use and you will find that it should run faster.

There are caveats of course like the amount of RAM you have, the CPU and the Graphics Card, all these have to be compatible with Windows 11, if they are only just within the spec then it may run but be slow.

If anyone tries to update an old PC to Windows 11 the update will fail if the PC is not up to the task.

That said I had Microsoft keep sending me messages about updating a Windows 8 laptop to Windows 11.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Well Angus, at the risk of being called out as an Anti-pedant can I refer you to the Original Poster's Reply #12.
cheers, Ian

At the time of your first post #8, the OP had not described any kind of observed system performance issues.

So to prescribe a free download of third party indexing/search software and to switch off Windows indexing services in an attempt to stop Edge from dominating the default browser or to prevent McAfee from running in addition to existing anti-virus software is not going to address the issue.

Nor is suggesting going into the UEFI/BIOS in an attempt to overclock the CPU as per #17. While these changes may have helped your particular setup, I do not think they are relevant here.

I refer the OP back to F1Fan’s post #15 where it asks whether there are two anti-virus software packages installed and running, and Biggles’ post #20 to uninstall all the McAfee components.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 February 24 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all your advice, sorry if I've caused ructions about the removals. I use the MCP tool and it worked superbly so now the TM has only my main and only anti virus showing. I guess I'll have to put up with Edge until someone finds an answer bur my default browser is Opera.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline F1fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 February 24 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cockneyrebel,

Glad to hear you managed to uninstall McAffee.

If you want to carry on using Opera then go to their help page here https://help.opera.com/en/make-opera-default-browser/ and it shows how to set it as your default browser.

Or there is a youtube video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ZyVkbY86A&t=2s/

Hope That Helps :-)
Sawyer, Rutty - Wiltshire
Double - Suffolk
Templeman - Nottinghamshire
Senior, Blakeb(o)rough - Yorkshire

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 15 February 24 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Nothing to apologise for and good to hear McAfee has left you alone.

If you still find Edge being troublesome after following the instructions as per F1fan above to set Opera to the default browser, there are still other things that can be done.

I use Firefox as my preferred browser, Chrome as a backup and Edge if I still have problems (even though Chrome and Edge are very similar underneath). I needed to make a couple of other minor changes to stop Edge from nagging me when it felt like it and it has been quiet ever since but I can still choose to manually update Edge when I ask.

Let us know if it still makes an unwanted appearance and we can look at further options.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 February 24 21:42 GMT (UK) »
That said I had Microsoft keep sending me messages about updating a Windows 8 laptop to Windows 11.
Caution - late in 2023 Microsoft shut down the servers which allowed you to update Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 or 11 for free.
If you took their "advice" you would need to cough up for a new licence.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 February 24 09:46 GMT (UK) »
My PC came with Win10 last year and updating to 11 was the worst thing I've ever done, nothing works as before and in particular using the mouse to 'copy and paste' which rarely works on 11 and even adding an extension to Opera sometimes doesn't work. Now I have to 'select the text' by going backwards along the line to copy it!
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.