Author Topic: Edge & McAfee  (Read 1482 times)

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edge & McAfee
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 February 24 14:02 GMT (UK) »
edge://settings/system

Make sure "Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" is disabled.

As mentioned in that article linked by Gadget, Edge is very much integrated into Windows so the recommendation is to not attempt to uninstal it. Besides, give it another regular update and you'll find it comes back anyway.

I am on Win10 and prefer Firefox as my default browser and have no intrusion at all from Edge.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 February 24 14:08 GMT (UK) »

I am on Win10 and prefer Firefox as my default browser and have no intrusion at all from Edge.

Same here but need to get new machine  in the next year and not sure that I would like what has been described  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 24 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I built a new Windows 11 PC last year.

Edge is not running in the background.

Recent updates did not change its settings.  I’ve just looked at Task Manger > no Edge, then I looked at Startup > no Edge.

Windows did want me to use McAfee but I declined as I did with Office 363.

Firefox is my default browser.

Probably the worst is a new Windows 11 Laptop as they do seem to be full of Bloatware.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 24 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the advice. Does 'Everything from Voidtools' work OK with Edge and Win 11? How do you disable windows search-is that the file explorer?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 February 24 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Before you start installing Freeware open Task Manager and look at the processes that are running.

Right click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager

Of interest is the programs that are using CPU cycles and the Memory.

You will find in the Windows Processes the Desktop Window Manager using c200-400MB Memory.

I currently have my Windows 11 PC running and it is showing 0 CPU, 16% Memory, 0 Disk and 0 Network.

Come back to us with what you see.

Also check what Apps are run in Startup

To reiterate I have Firefox as my default Browser and I removed Edge from the Taskbar by right clicking on the Icon and selecting Remove From Taskbar.

I have just 5 minutes ago updated Windows 11 and after a reboot, Edge is still not showing as running in the background nor is it showing in Startup or in Task Manager.

Check in the Settings > Apps > Installed Apps for any MacAfee App, simply uninstall any that bear the name.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 09:59 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't show Edge unless it's hidden but McAfee as attached
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline F1fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cockneyrebel,

Have you installed the ' other ' Anti-Virus program you mention as if you have two running they will fight against one another and slow down your PC. If you use the advice from Biggles50 on how to remove McAffee then it will help. The list you have posted shows all the bits and pieces of McAffe that are running as it is installed and will dissappear upon Uninstall.

Edge is part of Windows and will not really slow down the PC too much and you can just install the browser you wish to use ( remember that Edge is just the Microsoft version of Google Chrome ) and you can set it as default when ever asked and Edge should not bother too much or not at all and then the advice from AngusMcCoatup about stopping it from running in the background will help  :)

Sawyer, Rutty - Wiltshire
Double - Suffolk
Templeman - Nottinghamshire
Senior, Blakeb(o)rough - Yorkshire

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Download ' everything' from Voidtools ... Free.   Choose not to have it Run as Administrator and no need for it in startup.
Use Windows button simultaneously with 'R' pressed and in the resultant box enter ' Services msc' and scroll down the list for SEARCH ( the Windows version ) and disable it ( in Properties) but ALSO Disable INDEXING because that is what uses too much CPU time.  Search can function without the Indexing, it justs takes longer, but Everything is rapid compared to Windows Search.
Hunting the 'net I found that you can set the CPU to Minimum 50% and Maximum 100% and though it seems counter-intuitive, it works, my CPU percentage went up in Task Manager and Performance Monitor.
Hope this helps.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought on CPU, the main processor at the heart of your machine.  I'm currently mostly using an old Lenovo G50 laptop of 10 years  age but it was originally top of its range, but...
the CPU is an Intel N2830
and on searching Lenovo's site and others I discovered it was a budget chip designed to run slowly on laptops etc!, especially those with no cooling fans and therefore was set not to overheat.
So, don't try to 'Overclock' it.
But your CPU might be a contender for ' Overclocking ' as Gamers frequently do.
Just Google 'Overclocking CPUs'.  Normally it's done by changing values in the BIOS/UEFI.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.