Author Topic: Where was Row, near Huddersfield?  (Read 402 times)

Offline alfindit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Row, near Huddersfield?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 February 24 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I've just noticed on the large scale town plan just to the east of Crosland Moor Bottom some houses labelled as Cobden's Row. See side-by-side view here:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18.5&lat=53.64001&lon=-1.80540&layers=117746211&right=osm

There are buildings there on the tithe map too: landowner William Hornblower and others. Occupiers, 12 different male names given so presumably 12 households.

That's great. It is in that area, I am sure. That could be it, though we may never know.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 24 02:25 GMT (UK) »
 Its possible there was a place/area called (Something) Row in or around Huddersfield villages but it was a common name for a row of types of house dwellings in many towns, villages or hamlets in the UK

For Example: My mother as a child lived in 'Rhodes Cottages Row' in a mining village near Chesterfield.

Another example: There could have been a main road with semi detached houses each side then a row of terrace houses at a right angle to the main road and would be known to locals as simply 'The Row'

Eg;- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6449132,-1.8468409,3a,75y,150.23h,98.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjgkExSz5AVmrpZ2h1cnzQg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 24 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I agree that the word 'Row' in a place name usually refers to a row of houses–indeed in the US, terraced houses are called row houses. But, although I posted the map showing the position of Cobden's Row, I'm not particularly convinced that this is relevant in this case. Here is a quote from Helen E. Roberts (2003) Researching Yorkshire Quaker History: A Guide to Sources. University of Hull, available online at archive.org

HUDDERSFIELD PREPARATIVE MEETING (c. 1770 to date)
Historical note:

There were very few Quakers in Huddersfield before the Industrial Revolution. Edmund Horsfall, Edward Key and John Brook suffered distraint of goods in 1683 for being absent from the national worship; of these, the Brook family of Row in Lockwood continued to be Quaker into the 18th century. [...continues, describing the establishment of the Paddock Meeting].

The stated source for this is D Bower and J Knight, Plain country Friends: the Quakers of Wooldale, High Flatts and Midhope (Woodvale PM, 1987) , referred to by the OP, to which I do not have access.

I think the wording here, and the date being referred to, indicate that there was a place–perhaps just a house–called Row. In a separate piece of research just yesterday I discovered a homestead in northern Cumberland labelled as "Row" on the 1845 tithe map. Here is a view of it on the 1957 OS map, labelled as Row, but there is no obvious 'row'.

http://tinyurl.com/n5uhebk5

(On modern large scale OS maps it is "The Row Farm", but is still simply "Row" on a smaller scale OS map.)

added: I have just seen that Row also appears thus on Thomas Donald's map of Cumberland, 1774.

Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 24 09:47 GMT (UK) »
These are a few possible locations

https://huddersfield.exposed/hwiki/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=row&fulltext=1

https://huddersfield.exposed/archive/tag/1195 Lowerhead row

Upperbrow at the back length of Paddock near Huddersfield

Upperhead row in Huddersfield town itself  (Near to top of Chapel Hill Lockwood )
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline alfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 February 24 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I agree that the word 'Row' in a place name usually refers to a row of houses–indeed in the US, terraced houses are called row houses. But, although I posted the map showing the position of Cobden's Row, I'm not particularly convinced that this is relevant in this case. Here is a quote from Helen E. Roberts (2003) Researching Yorkshire Quaker History: A Guide to Sources. University of Hull, available online at archive.org

HUDDERSFIELD PREPARATIVE MEETING (c. 1770 to date)
Historical note:

There were very few Quakers in Huddersfield before the Industrial Revolution. Edmund Horsfall, Edward Key and John Brook suffered distraint of goods in 1683 for being absent from the national worship; of these, the Brook family of Row in Lockwood continued to be Quaker into the 18th century. [...continues, describing the establishment of the Paddock Meeting].

The stated source for this is D Bower and J Knight, Plain country Friends: the Quakers of Wooldale, High Flatts and Midhope (Woodvale PM, 1987) , referred to by the OP, to which I do not have access.

I think the wording here, and the date being referred to, indicate that there was a place–perhaps just a house–called Row. In a separate piece of research just yesterday I discovered a homestead in northern Cumberland labelled as "Row" on the 1845 tithe map. Here is a view of it on the 1957 OS map, labelled as Row, but there is no obvious 'row'.

http://tinyurl.com/n5uhebk5

(On modern large scale OS maps it is "The Row Farm", but is still simply "Row" on a smaller scale OS map.)

added: I have just seen that Row also appears thus on Thomas Donald's map of Cumberland, 1774.

Thanks Dobman and Alan for persevering and adding to my understanding.

I have purchased the book 'Plain Country Friends' and have just found the quotes referring to 'John Brook of Row (Lockwwood)' and 'Row in Lockwood' and am now pretty sure it was in Lockwood and was, as you say, a single dwelling called Row or terraced houses named locally as Row though not necessarily appearing on maps as such. I appreciate I may never find out exactly where it was, but I am satisfied that I have a location.

Offline alfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 February 24 10:01 GMT (UK) »
These are a few possible locations

https://huddersfield.exposed/hwiki/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=row&fulltext=1

https://huddersfield.exposed/archive/tag/1195 Lowerhead row

Upperbrow at the back length of Paddock near Huddersfield

Upperhead row in Huddersfield town itself  (Near to top of Chapel Hill Lockwood )

Thanks very much Dobman for your efforts which are much appreciated. The book 'Plain Country Friends' contains descriptions of the travels made by Quakers in the area and some mention Row; by following their journeys, perhaps plotting them on modern maps, I may be able to gain a better sense of where in Lockwood Row actually was.

Thanks again,
Al

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 February 24 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I have to go shopping now so!! :(

Try variant entries like - 1841 census till 1911 census in normal Google search or Google books search

enter : 1881 census Huddersfield- the row lockwood -Google book search

This long link::: shows there was a Row in Lockwood

First in the list top of page:

Look Under the National Genealogical society
then under Found inside Page 273

https://www.google.com/search?q=1881+census+huddersfield-+the+row+lockwood&sca_esv=d0302815d0bab043&tbm=bks&ei=wOrJZYvzCbiyhbIPnfel0AE&ved=0ahUKEwiL04qSxKWEAxU4WUEAHZ17CRoQ4dUDCAk&oq=1881+census+huddersfield-+the+row+lockwood&gs_lp=Eg1nd3Mtd2l6LWJvb2tzIioxODgxIGNlbnN1cyBodWRkZXJzZmllbGQtIHRoZSByb3cgbG9ja3dvb2RIyT5Q4QhYqipwAHgAkAEAmAGvAaABnwmqAQQxMC4zuAEMyAEA-AEBiAYB&sclient=gws-wiz-books

Offline alfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 February 24 10:25 GMT (UK) »

Google book search

enter : 1881 census huddersfield- the row lockwood

This long link::: shows there was a Row in Lockwood

First in the list top of page:

Look Under the National Genealogical society
then under Found inside Page 273

https://www.google.com/search?q=1881+census+huddersfield-+the+row+lockwood&sca_esv=d0302815d0bab043&tbm=bks&ei=wOrJZYvzCbiyhbIPnfel0AE&ved=0ahUKEwiL04qSxKWEAxU4WUEAHZ17CRoQ4dUDCAk&oq=1881+census+huddersfield-+the+row+lockwood&gs_lp=Eg1nd3Mtd2l6LWJvb2tzIioxODgxIGNlbnN1cyBodWRkZXJzZmllbGQtIHRoZSByb3cgbG9ja3dvb2RIyT5Q4QhYqipwAHgAkAEAmAGvAaABnwmqAQQxMC4zuAEMyAEA-AEBiAYB&sclient=gws-wiz-books

Thanks Dobfarm. That is a great source and quite late too. It inspired me to search Findmypast addresses - I can't believe I didn't do this before - and I found a Row between Bank Bottom and Hoyle Top in Almondbury in 1841 and several in Kirkburton in various censuses, both within a 5 miles radius of Lockwood and showing the name was in fairly common use in the area to describe a collection of properties.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile