Author Topic: Location of HMS Pembroke II and HMS Blenheim Nov-Dec 1911  (Read 400 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Location of HMS Pembroke II and HMS Blenheim Nov-Dec 1911
« on: Saturday 10 February 24 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Rootschatters,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this dilemma.  I need to find the exact location of the HMS Pembroke II during November 1911 and of the HMS Blenheim from 22 Nov 1911 to mid-December of 1912.  There is one enlisted serviceman in particular, Frederick Charnock, service number 209025.  I have the details of his service from his service record and the medal rolls.  He was a leading stoker on both ships and I need to pin down his exact location, e.g. were both ships under sail somewhere, or were they docked somewhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of HMS Pembroke II and HMS Blenheim Nov-Dec 1911
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 24 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with HMS Blenheim but HMS Pembroke was a stone ship, the Royal Naval Barracks at Chatham 1902 - 1961.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 24 23:17 GMT (UK) »
From newspaper reports. HMS Blenheim appears to have been in various ports and harbours up and down the east coast of Great Britain - Orkney, Inverness, Newcastle, Harwich etc - during that period.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 24 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Jebber and ShaunJ. for your contributions.  They are greatly appreciated.

Jebber, do you have any idea why the HMS Pembroke would be referred to in this man's record as Pembroke I and Pembroke II?  These entries appear one after the other.  Pembroke I is dated 6 June 1911 and Pembroke II is dated 9 Nov 1911 to 21 Nov 1911.

ShaunJ I was hoping that there would be some record as to the date the HMS Blenheim actually docked in Harwich or left Chatham.  The dates for my event are so constrained that any movement by the man in question has to have occurred mid-November to the first week in December 1911.  His post to the Blenheim occurred on 22 Nov 1911 and I'm trying to determine if he boarded it in Chatham or had to travel overland to get to Harwich.
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 24 21:03 GMT (UK) »
HMS Pembroke I was an accounting base at Chatham from 1940 until 1960.
HMS Pembroke II was an accounting base at Chatham from 1940 until 1957.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Pembroke
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 24 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that there would be some record as to the date the HMS Blenheim actually docked in Harwich or left Chatham.  The dates for my event are so constrained that any movement by the man in question has to have occurred mid-November to the first week in December 1911.  His post to the Blenheim occurred on 22 Nov 1911 and I'm trying to determine if he boarded it in Chatham or had to travel overland to get to Harwich.

According to the Army and Navy Gazette of 18 November 1911, Blenheim left Portland on 15 November and arrived at Harwich the same day. She was surely still there on 25 November, when a football team from H.M.S. Blenheim lost 2-5 to Woodbridge, Suffolk (Lloyds Weekly News, 26 Nov 1911).

For a detailed description of a vessel’s movements and her exact position, you could look at the logs (in ADM 53 at the National Archives), or have someone do it on your behalf. For Blenheim in November 1911 …
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1482214

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 24 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Bookbox,

Apologies for the late reply. With our wildly escalating weather, it's sapping my energy.

Thank you so much for your perfect answer to the HMS Blenheim question.  I have limited access to the Army and Navy Gazettes, i.e. not a perfect run and many dates in November are missing.  I would love to be able to research at Kew but I'm in Canada and don't have any contacts in that area.

Thank you, again.  As always your replies are greatly appreciated.
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 24 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, KGarrad,

Thank you for your response to my post about the two references to the Pembroke.  I appreciate the time you took to try to find an answer for me.

Yes, I had already searched various references for an answer but most of the results related to the Pembroke after WWI.  I have a very specific time frame, being pre-WWI and specifically 9 November 1911 to 21 November 1911.  I can only conclude that the two references in the man's service record must relate to his training and his graduation.

Thank you, again.
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 February 24 21:02 GMT (UK) »
The difference between Pembroke I and Pembroke II before WW1 seems to have been lost in the mists of time and is not adequately explained on any current website (including Wikipedia - HMS Pembroke II - Royal Naval Air Station at Eastchurch between 1913 and 1918.).

My grandfather was a stoker based at Chatham between 1912 and 1920. His naval record only mentions Pembroke II or just Pembroke.

Here is another example mentioning Pembroke II before WW1:

https://www.cwgc.org/stories/stories/chief-stoker-pensioner-joseph-samuel-farman-royal-navy-royal-fleet-reserve/

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex