Author Topic: John Heffernan b 1836? and Margaret O'Rourke b1840? co clare  (Read 572 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: John Heffernan b 1836? and Margaret O'Rourke b1840? co clare
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 February 24 23:47 GMT (UK) »
John Heffernan and Sarah O'Neil had a daughter Bridget, baptized Moohane 7/6/1864.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634764#page/171/mode/1up

So, same name, same father's name, same year of birth, same place of birth as the other Bridget Heffernan

SHRYL, can you be sure which of these two Bridgets is your ancestor?

- Silly mix up
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 February 24 00:28 GMT (UK) »
There is this place:
Mooghaun North and there is Mooghaun South in Tomfinlough parish

https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=2786&civilparish=Tomfinlough

Griffiths Valuation shows a John Heffernan in Mooghaun North.

Seems to be Mooglaun here
https://www.townlands.ie/clare/bunratty-lower/tomfinlough/newmarket/mooglaun-south/

Irish census 1901 shows Heffernan and O’Rourke in Moohaun North
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01szo/

What do you think?

thank you Heywood. this seems to indicate there is two John Heffernans living in Moohaun. So Many Heffernans!! What I do know for sure is John Heffernan b? married Margaret O'Rourke ? married Newmarket on Fergus 2.2.1859 I dont have their birth dates . I did notice that on the Griffiths list for Moohaun, there was Reynolds and a John Reynolds was a witness at their wedding.thanks again for all you help , it is so frustrating.......

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 February 24 00:33 GMT (UK) »
John Heffernan and Sarah O'Neil had a daughter Bridget, baptized Moohane 7/6/1864.

So, same name, same father's name, same year of birth, same place of birth as the other Bridget Heffernan

Wexflyer, I don't have a Bridget on this line of ancestors. So far all I have is John Heffernan and Margaret O'Rourke and their children: Daniel, Margaret and Patrick. Margaret b1864 being my great grandmother, who journeyed to Australia for free. I will be staying in the area for five days in June so hopefully I can find some information . Is there anywhere I could go to do this? There are so many Heffernans!!!

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 February 24 00:43 GMT (UK) »

Wexflyer, I don't have a Bridget on this line of ancestors. So far all I have is John Heffernan and Margaret O'Rourke and their children: Daniel, Margaret and Patrick. Margaret b1864 being my great grandmother, who journeyed to Australia for free. I will be staying in the area for five days in June so hopefully I can find some information . Is there anywhere I could go to do this? There are so many Heffernans!!!

Ah, you are correct - different Christian names! Silly me, looking at too many posts at once.

I have no local knowledge of Clare, sorry.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 February 24 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes I am on Ancestry and yes Margaret O'Rourke b 1864 came out to Australia on board "Shenir" leaving Plymouth arriving in Oz 1880.I
I think you mean Heffernan, not O'Rourke  :)

Um... If Margaret Heffernan emigrated to the Antipodes in 1880, then how did she marry Patrick Fallon from Roscommon "29 Apr 1882 Ipswich, Suffolk, England."

That is a direct cut and paste from what it states on her Ancestry listing.

Addendum:
I see that she appears in 18 Ancestry trees! The above is  what it states in the first one that appears. One has to click to see the others, some of which say Ipswich, Queensland. Others, again, England. One of these profiles has this same Margaret have two children in Australia, then back to Ireland for 5 more, marry Patrick Fallon in 1896, and reside in Toberdan, Roscommon, on the 1911 Irish census....

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 February 24 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Wexflyer I did mean Margaret Heffernan. And Margaret Heffernan and Patrick Fallon married at Ipswich Qld on 29th April 1882. Not Ipswich England easy to confuse. I have a copy of their marriage certificate here.
they had six children here in Brisbane : Patrick, Bridget, Kate, Eileen, Malachy and John. Eileen is my grandmother. They (Margaret and Patrick ) are buried here in Brisbane , I have the details for that as well. Easier to access as time goes on ...
I am still investigating the Heffernans in Co Clare and looking into the court listings as well. Sorry for the confusion. That is the problem with there being so many with the same name.

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 06:18 GMT (UK) »
hey RootsChat,
where did you go? I got used to our chats on the forum. Have we exhausted all of our avenues?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 06:34 GMT (UK) »
hey RootsChat,
where did you go? I got used to our chats on the forum. Have we exhausted all of our avenues?

Someone suggested going through the microfilm of the parish register yourself, page by page.
As you have surely noticed by now, the Ancestry transcriptions are not to be relied on - and some of yours are actually missing. Could be more.

Other than that, not much left. Take a look at the tythe valuations, of course, on the NAI site.

You should consider yourself fortunate in a way - many, many Americans, for example, have nothing better to go on than "Ireland", whereas you know the specific townlands your family came from in Clare and Roscommon.

Actually, you can pull up the maps associated with the Griffith's Valuation, and see precisely where the farms were.

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer. I did generate the maps and I think I have identified the areas they farmed.
I printed them off and also downloaded on my laptop, so I have access to them when we are over there. I must admit this ancestry research is quite addictive. I can go down so many rabbit holes.
You and Heywood have been so helpful to this novice. My regret is that I can't find their gravesites.
With the records being so scatty doesn't help. Maybe when I get there someone can help. Again thankyou for all your assistance. It was appreciated.