Author Topic: John Heffernan b 1836? and Margaret O'Rourke b1840? co clare  (Read 573 times)

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Heffernan b 1836? and Margaret O'Rourke b1840? co clare
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 07:24 GMT (UK) »
hey RootsChat,
where did you go? I got used to our chats on the forum. Have we exhausted all of our avenues?

Someone suggested going through the microfilm of the parish register yourself, page by page.
As you have surely noticed by now, the Ancestry transcriptions are not to be relied on - and some of yours are actually missing. Could be more.
Yes that is a point I have seen the microfilm and it would take a little trolling through. Maybe worth it. And yes I don't rely On ancestry records - they can be misleading at times.

Other than that, not much left. Take a look at the tythe valuations, of course, on the NAI site.

You should consider yourself fortunate in a way - many, many Americans, for example, have nothing better to go on than "Ireland", whereas you know the specific townlands your family came from in Clare and Roscommon.

Actually, you can pull up the maps associated with the Griffith's Valuation, and see precisely where the farms were.

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Heffernan b 1836? and Margaret O'Rourke b1840? co clare
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 07:34 GMT (UK) »
hey RootsChat,
where did you go? I got used to our chats on the forum. Have we exhausted all of our avenues?

Someone suggested going through the microfilm of the parish register yourself, page by page.
As you have surely noticed by now, the Ancestry transcriptions are not to be relied on - and some of yours are actually missing. Could be more.
Yes that is a point I have seen the microfilm and it would take a little trolling through. Maybe worth it. And yes I don't rely On ancestry records - they can be misleading at times.

Other than that, not much left. Take a look at the tythe valuations, of course, on the NAI site.

You should consider yourself fortunate in a way - many, many Americans, for example, have nothing better to go on than "Ireland", whereas you know the specific townlands your family came from in Clare and Roscommon.

Actually, you can pull up the maps associated with the Griffith's Valuation, and see precisely where the farms were.
I was very fortunate I had a copy of my great grandparents marriage certificate whereby the areas they came from were listed there. It helps if you have documentation I believe.