Author Topic: John Heffernan b 1836? and Margaret O'Rourke b1840? co clare  (Read 576 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: John Heffernan b 1836? and Margaret O'Rourke b1840? co clare
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 February 24 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Birth registration for James Heffernan 7/4/1869, Moohane
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1869/03391/2243544.pdf
Father John Heffernan, farmer
Mother Sarah O'Neil
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 February 24 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Death of John Heffernan, 12/7/1895, aged 77, Moohane
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1895/05920/4680879.pdf
Informant - James Heffernan, son

This John is the one married to Sarah O'Neil
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 24 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Family of Sarah [O'Neil] Heffernan, widow of John, on 1901 census, in Moohane North
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000466406/

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 February 24 20:27 GMT (UK) »
OP/SHYRL - do you have access to Ancestry?

Many, many Heffernans and Rourkes in the court records for Newmarket-on-Fergus.
John Heffernan of Moohane appears from 1842 to 1890s - may not all be same person of course.
Rioting in the streets, failure to pay their taxes, animals wandering on other people's land, etc. etc.

Did you mention they all had a free cruise to the Antipodes at Her Majesty's expense?  ;)

When and how many of the family did travel to Australia?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 February 24 20:31 GMT (UK) »
As for the Rourkes, a Daniel Rourke is listed in Griffith's Valuation, 1855, as jointly farming 39 acres in Mooghaun North. Given the son named Daniel, he is possible father or brother of Margaret Rourke.
He also appears in court for rioting in the streets of Newmarket...

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 February 24 20:34 GMT (UK) »
That reminds me, Daniel Heffernan died 12/3/1865, aged 3, informant mother Margaret Heffernan.
Death registered Ennis SRD.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 February 24 20:45 GMT (UK) »
The following Heffernans with address Moohane appear in the court records, some many times, such as John:

John
Michael
James
Thomas
Patrick

Also multiple Rourkes, including Daniel.

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 February 24 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Holy cow!!! That is an astonishing find Wexflyer. I can't believe the difficulty I have with these names!! so many of them and very confusing. Yes I am on Ancestry and yes Margaret O'Rourke b 1864 came out to Australia on board "Shenir" leaving Plymouth arriving in Oz 1880.I think she came out on her own aged 18years. And I think it was "free passage"!! I did see the other John Heffernan living in Mooghan (south and north) I don't think that is my person. Married to Sarah O'Neil.
So a colourful past I see and one that is difficult to investigate. I must admit I didn't look at the court records??? I will start looking at them on Ancestry as well. Thank you for the information on the Rourkes as well. Maybe that is an avenue to pursue. I may hit a dead end when I travel to the Heffernan / O'Rourke areas!! enjoy the superbowl.....

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 February 24 23:41 GMT (UK) »
John Heffernan married Sara Neil in Newmaket-on-Fergus on 27/4/1843.

The relevant pages are deliberately covered/omitted from the NLI microfilm copy,  ???  but a transcript is on RootsIreland.