Author Topic: Cyril Alfred wells 1905-1969  (Read 190 times)

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cyril Alfred wells 1905-1969
« on: Sunday 11 February 24 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello,I hope someone can give me some help please,I posted on here before about the burial place of my ancestor Cyril Alfred wells,who was born in Leicester in 1905 to Joseph Henry wells and Agnes Jane Smith,he was married to Evelyn Gladys wheatstone,he died in Leicester in 1969.
     If at all possible does anyone know more information about Cyril,like what job's he had during his life,any help would be greatly appreciated,kind regards Dean

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cyril Alfred wells 1905-1969
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 24 09:02 GMT (UK) »
1921 - Box maker, out of work

1939 - Moulder Shoe Trade

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 24 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Was he a was a betting man?

Saturday 10 June 1950: Leicester Daily Mercury

Wigston Betting Raid: £20 Fine
A Derby Day raid on an office in Canal Street, South Wigston, was described to Leicester County Magistrates today when Alfred William Bostock (65) of Little Glen Road, South Wigston, was fined £20 for being the owner of premises used for betting on May 27,

Later six other men, who it was said came into the office when police officers were present, pleaded guilty to resorting to a betting house for the purpose of betting. They were bound over for 12 months to keep away from betting houses.

They were George Overton (72), Levi Hancock (80), Cyril Alfred Wells (45), and George Sandgren (48), all of South Wigston, and Albert James Hubbard (48) and Arthur Durnford Cox (3), both of Blaby.

Watched The Office

Detective Officer Webster told the Court he kept observation on the office on two dates in May, and saw adults go in and come out after a short period.

On May 27 he and another officer went into the office where betting slips and money were found. When they read the warrant to Bostock he said: "Fancy picking on Derby Day."

Bostock told the Court "being Derby week, I couldn't keep them out. It was like trying to stop Niagara Falls."

Sandgren told the Magistrate "I only had a bet  because it was Derby Day, and I was a bit unlucky."
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 24 10:58 GMT (UK) »
There is an article about his wedding in The Leicester Evening Mail 23rd Jul 1938

South Wigston Bride Carries Red Roses
 The wedding took place today at St. Thomas' Church, South Wigston, to Mr. Cyril Wells, son of Mrs. Wells of Albion Street, South Wigston.
 The bride, given away by Mr. Fred Ingram, of Tamworth, wore crushed strawberry crepe de Chine, with a bouquet of red roses.
 She was attended by Miss Gwendoline Frost, who wore mauve crepe de Chine and carried pink carnations, and Miss Wells, sister of the bridegroom, who wore lemon crepe de Chine and carried pink roses. The best man was Harold Lane.

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 24 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for this wonderful information,it is exactly what I wanted,extremely interesting to read about things that happened in the life of cyril,thank you for your hard work,so appreciated

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 February 24 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Alfred Bostok, there's a name from the past. My grandfather was Landlord of the Clarence Hotel in Wigston, he and grandma were great friends with Mr. Bostok. Grandpa would lend him money when he had a bad run with the gee-gees, and he took grandma out some evenings....I've sometimes wondered...
But no matter, sorry to butt into your thread. Dean. I'm quite sure your Cyril was seen in the Clarence, and laying a few bets quietly in there too!
Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/