Author Topic: Underwood/Reader - A couple of loose ends  (Read 688 times)

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
Underwood/Reader - A couple of loose ends
« on: Sunday 11 February 24 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm tying up some loose ends with the following couple - hopefully.

I'm looking into the parents of Mary Ann Underwood (nee Reader) (1837-1877) and the later life of her husband Joseph Enoch Underwood (1820-1895).

I know the couple married in Birmingham in 1857. Mary Ann is incorrectly listed with the surname Ready (I know this because all her children were registered with mmn Reader). No father's name is listed on her marriage record. Joseph had been married before, to a Hepzibah Hawkins, who had died in 1857.

They appear in the 1861 and 1871 census together with their children (and some of Joseph's previous children), living in Birmingham. Here are the details for reference:
Enoch Underwood   38 - gun implement maker
Mary A Underwood   26
Thomas Underwood   17
George Underwood   15
Hepzibah Underwood   12
Henry Underwood   10
Mary A Underwood   2
Joseph Underwood   3/12

Joseph Underwood   49 - gunsmith
Mary Underwood   33
Mary Underwood   12
Albert Underwood   8
Walter Underwood   4

Mary Ann died in 1877 in Birmingham. Her death was recorded as accidental due to injury to her placenta during a fall. There was an inquest that I need to look into at some point.

Joseph is then missing in 1881 and 1891. I know Joseph died in 1895 in the workhouse infirmary, Western Road. His niece, a Charlotte Bradley, was in attendance at his death. Where was he between 1871 and his death? At the time of his wife's death in 1877 his occupation is listed as 'screw manufacturer'.

In regards to Mary Ann's parentage, in the two census records I have for her - 1861 & 1871 - she first lists her place of birth as Brierley Hill, Staffordshire, but in 1871 it's Birmingham.

There is a Mary Ann Reader registered in 1838 in Wolverhampton. Mother's maiden name is Wassell.

I looked into this and there is a William Reader who married Amelia Wassell in Wolverhampton in Birmingham in 1926. It would appear this couple had a few more children - William Marshall Reader, (1828), Elizabeth Reader & Matilda Reader. Only William's birth date is recorded on his baptism record. All of the children were baptised on 5th Feb 1837.

However, I can't seem to find Mary Ann in the 1841 census. Where was she? I also can't find her father in that census. Amelia, her mother, died in 1838 from a cold after her confinement with Mary Ann. What became of her father and where are Mary Ann and her siblings in 1841?
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Underwood/Reader - A couple of loose ends
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 24 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Who reported Mary Ann’s death?
Was there a residence address?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 24 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately in that section it simply reads as follows:
'Certificate received from H Hawkes, coroner of Birmingham. Inquest held 2nd January 1877.'

Mary Ann's address is listed as 1 court, Hampton Street.

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 24 14:38 GMT (UK) »
The child that Mary Ann was carrying was Ada Amelia Underwood. This child died the following year. Her death details are interesting:

Ada Amelia Underwood
Died 9th Jan 1878 - address 10 Hampton Street
Age 12 months
Daughter of Joseph Enoch Underwood - screw maker
Bronchitis was the cause of death.
Informant - Harriett Underwood - mother in law (present at the death) 10 Hampton Street

Who was Harriet? Did Joseph marry again?

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 24 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Think this maybe 1891

Charlotte Bradley next door

All b Birmingham
Piece   2395 Folio   12
Graham Street, Birmingham

Enoch Underwood 68   Head lab
Harriett Underwood   69   Wife
Richard Underwood 10   Grandson

Added: with no father's name included on marriage, it could be suggested she was not aware of who he was so may be illegitimate.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 24 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I think the 1891 census is likely to be the Jospeh Enoch Underwood I'm looking for. Good find!

I looked into the marriage of one of Mary Ann's potential siblings to see if the father is listed there.

Matilda Reader married Thomas Gray in Birmingham.
Witnesses to the marriage are Joseph Enoch Underwood and Mary Ann Underwood - the couple I'm looking into.

The father's name on this marriage record is William Reader (boatman).

This tallies with the baptism records I found for Mary Ann, Matilda, William Marshall and Elizabeth. Father's name William Reader and mother Amelia (formerly Wassell). Only Mary Ann was born late enough to be registered on GRO. Father's name was William Reader and occupation 'boatman'.

I believe this adds further proof to the fact that the Mary Ann I'm looking into definitely belongs to this family, as she and her husband are witnesses on Matilda's marriage certificate.

On Mary Ann's marriage certificate there is a witness called Sarah Ann Reader (mis-transcribed as Ready). I don't know who this is yet as there is no baptism for a Sarah Ann that I can find belonging to William and Amelia.

I know Amelia died in 1838. What became of her husband William Reader and their children is unknown to me at this stage. I can't seem to find William in the 1841 census with his children. Did he die too? Or was he imprisoned? If either is the case then the children could have been staying with family or could have been separated.

I found who could be Matilda in 1851, though her birth place is listed as Birmingham. She is listed as a prisoner and aged 19. I can't find her in 1841 or 1861. Then she appears with her husband in 1871 onwards.

The other children of William and Amelia Reader I've been unable to locate in census so far.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 24 15:26 GMT (UK) »
On Mary Ann's marriage certificate there is a witness called Sarah Ann Reader (mis-transcribed as Ready). I don't know who this is yet as there is no baptism for a Sarah Ann that I can find belonging to William and Amelia.

Possible? Don't know if connected.

Maybe William remarried or an aunt...

Death
READER, SARAH  ANN     age 43 
GRO Reference: 1861  M Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 06D  Page 37

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 24 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I keep coming back to this family in 1841 living at Rocks Hill Street, Kingswinford, Stourbridge, Staffordshire.  The mother's surname is Reader on the image  and they all weren't born in the County  :-\  I can't see them in 1841 1851 at the moment

Sarah   Redder   25   
Elizabeth   Redder   7   
Mary   Redder   3   
Sarah   Redder   2   
Emma   Redder   0   

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 06:30 GMT (UK) »
I think this is the same family in 1851 living at St James Place, Aston Near Birmingham and I noticed son Joseph had the same birthplace at Mary A Underwood in 1861

Sarah   Reader   Head Married    35   Pershore, Worcestershire
Sarah Ann   Reader   Daughter   12      Birmingham, Warwickshire
Alice   Reader   Daughter 6   Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire
Joseph   Reader   Son 9   Brierley Hill, Worcestershire
Ellen Jane   Reader   Daughter   0 Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

In 1851 I also found a Mary Reader age 13 b Birmingham working as a servant in Aston and poss sister Elizabeth age 15 was also working in Aston as a servant

Son  Joseph James Reader was born 6 Jan 1843 and baptised 20 Feb 1853 at St James the Less, Ashtead, Warwickshire(part of Birmingham) at the same time as sister Sarah Ann.   The parents were listed as William and Sarah address St James Place.  William is listed as a boatman - preumably why he wasn't at home in any census - although poss in hospital in Birmingham in 1851 age 43 a boatman b Birningham

Kay

Added - I can find birth registration for Sarah Ann and Joseph James (as below) with mother's maiden name Badger but their sister Mary may have been born pre registration
READER, JOSEPH  JAMES   mmn BADGER     
GRO Ref: 1843  M Qrtr  STOURBRIDGE UNION  Volume 18  Page 464

Poss death of William Reader
Age    54
Address Duddeston
Burial Date    16 Aug 1863   Saltley, St Saviour, Warwickshire 

On the Underwood/Ready 1857 marriage cert no details were listed for bride or groom's fathers and this appears on quite a number of the marriage certs in the same parish so it may have been an error :-\