Author Topic: "The Gift"  (Read 475 times)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"The Gift"
« on: Sunday 11 February 24 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone listened to "The Gift" programme? And what do you think?
Thanks for any thoughts....

Melbell

Offline Jo6100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "The Gift"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 24 15:29 GMT (UK) »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0gd2dgb/episodes/downloads

Presumably this-  I haven’t. Is it any good?

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 24 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I found that it was well worth listening too.

Six episodes each covering different aspects:- secrets, race, health, fraud, justice, mistakes.

Shows in one episode that without corroborative DNA your tree can ……. well that would be a spoiler would it not?

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 24 23:02 GMT (UK) »
There was a bonus episode released just a few days ago on the 23andme 'hack' or data mining perhaps more accurately and the anti-semitic aspect of it. 23andme still has the shared match feature disabled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001w6z0

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I listened to all the episodes and was shocked though not surprised by early ‘professional’ attitudes where they believed they could do anything. It has been good a law was introduced, but DNA is moving much faster than the law. There are ethical issues that need to be considered legally. My God-daughter was created by using a sperm donor. She does not have a problem. But she has joined a Facebook page where some are questioning their DNA results. One guy tried to emigrate, and had to name his parents and send a DNA sample. He was told the DNA did not match his father. That informed him, but there is a sister who still did not know. She was asking questions on Facebook and my God-daughter suggested a sperm donor. I believe there needs to be stricter laws and legal guidelines for all to follow, including governments.

Health: I chose not to use DNA to look at health issues. Having just become a pensioner, for many years I have had diabetes type two and hereditary blood pressure, if anything else is arriving I don’t care, and would rather die of ignorance.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I listened to all the episodes and was shocked though not surprised by early ‘professional’ attitudes where they believed they could do anything. It has been good a law was introduced, but DNA is moving much faster than the law. There are ethical issues that need to be considered legally. My God-daughter was created by using a sperm donor. She does not have a problem. But she has joined a Facebook page where some are questioning their DNA results. One guy tried to emigrate, and had to name his parents and send a DNA sample. He was told the DNA did not match his father. That informed him, but there is a sister who still did not know. She was asking questions on Facebook and my God-daughter suggested a sperm donor. I believe there needs to be stricter laws and legal guidelines for all to follow, including governments.

Health: I chose not to use DNA to look at health issues. Having just become a pensioner, for many years I have had diabetes type two and hereditary blood pressure, if anything else is arriving I don’t care, and would rather die of ignorance.

Have you seen the programme “Born to a stranger” on ITV  and ITV x ? It’s all about sperm and egg donor children, it’s very good and touches on the Facebook groups. I think last night’s episode was the last one in this series, but well worth watching on catch up… warning I found episode 2 very touching
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.