Author Topic: Searching for Robert Pritchard Thompson  (Read 253 times)

Offline Neil1981

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Robert Pritchard Thompson
« on: Sunday 11 February 24 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, I am looking for my great granduncle who is proving to be somewhat elusive after the 1921 census.

Born in 1903, East Castle (Durham), Robert Pritchard Thompson (his middle name Pritchard links to his patriline) grew up with his siblings and cousins along with his mother (Sarah) and aunt (Catherine) in Tanfield (1911).

I have since located him as a boarder living with the Slater family, in Tantobie, and working as coal miner driver at the Delight Colliery, employed by Bowes & Partners Ltd... After this, I am struggling to find a faithful trace for him and would really appreciate any leads  ???

For clarity, his mother and siblings, Selina and George, both relocated to Coventry during WW2 seemingly without him, as I cannot find any certs or documents to locate him after 1921.

My eyes are aching from too much screentime, researching this, haha! So a massive thanks in advance for your time and contributions

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Robert Pritchard Thompson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 24 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Have you got his exact date of birth to check on the 1939 register?

I'm sure you have already tried different spellings of the surname  :-\

If his mother left a will he may have been mentioned - when did she pass away?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 24 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Have you already discounted the freebmd entry for Robert P Thompson died Gateshead 1961 aged 59?

Unfortunately - Deaths on GRO online stop at 1954 so can’t check his middle name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you already discounted the freebmd entry for Robert P Thompson died Gateshead 1961 aged 59?

There is a birth registration in Gateshead District, Qtr 2, 1902 for a Robert Percy Thompson, MMN Frost -- 1902 birth year ties in with birth year on death registration.

Offline Neil1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you got his exact date of birth to check on the 1939 register?

I'm sure you have already tried different spellings of the surname  :-\

If his mother left a will he may have been mentioned - when did she pass away?

Hey Milliepede,

His D.O.B on the cert is 27th Feb' 1903, but my searches of 1939 Reg have drawn blanks, despite various spellings... it's possible he ditched the 'P' (Pritchard) and this links to his Father, but this is just an assumption based on the lack of entries for such an otherwise easy name to search for (if listed in full)

His mother, Sarah, passed away 1949 in Coventry and unfortunately did not have a will. She moved from Durham along with her youngest son George (my great grandad) during WW2 , which wasn;t the wisest of moves given the circumstances in hindsight!  ::) haha

I'm open to any suggestions and questions, and thank you so much for looking into this!  :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:51 GMT (UK) »
If he had joined the Armed Forces before the 1939 Register was compiled, then he won't appear. ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Neil1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:52 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately - Deaths on GRO online stop at 1954 so can’t check his middle name

Hey CaroleW,

I had to double check but, yes, I have already reviewed this entry... I believe this person was born 1902 and his middle name was Percy

This also reminds me, there was another Robert P Thompson in the Durham area who marries Alice G Petty in 1946 Sunderland ... unfortunately, its not him either

Offline Neil1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:56 GMT (UK) »
If he had joined the Armed Forces before the 1939 Register was compiled, then he won't appear. ;)

Hey KGarrad,

You're indeed right, and I'm m sincerely starting think this may have been the case  :-\