Author Topic: Rachel Cartwright Davies mother Emma Davies  (Read 335 times)

Offline Lacyjules

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rachel Cartwright Davies mother Emma Davies
« on: Sunday 11 February 24 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information relating to my Great grandmother's Rachel Davies born in Wem January 1869. I have no information regarding Rachel's father but her mother is listed as Emma Davies born 1850. I think Emma's parents are John Davies and Ann Davies from Shrewsbury.

I have obtained a copy of Rachel's marriage certificate, she married Harry Nicholas from Bishops Castle in 1876 They were married in Shrewsbury. They later relocated to Chester, Cheshire the thing I am struggling with is the fact it states Rachel's father was Richard Davies but I can't find anything in the records that matches Richard and to Rachel

I would be grateful if anyone can help me please, either the information listed above is incorrect or Rachel was born illegitimately I am very confused (it doesn't take much!!). I am searching on behalf of my mum

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel Cartwright Davies mother Emma Davies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 24 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that 'Cartwright' may be a link to her father or it could be Emmas mothers maiden surname. . Apparently the wrong birth registration

Where do you have Rachel and Emma on census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 24 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Think you have the wrong Rachel's birth. Censuses in Chester for Rachel Nicholas give her place of birth as Westbury, Shropshire.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 24 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information relating to my Great grandmother's Rachel Davies born in Wem January 1869. I have no information regarding Rachel's father but her mother is listed as Emma Davies born 1850. I think Emma's parents are John Davies and Ann Davies from Shrewsbury.

I have obtained a copy of Rachel's marriage certificate, she married Harry Nicholas from Bishops Castle in 1876 They were married in Shrewsbury. They later relocated to Chester, Cheshire the thing I am struggling with is the fact it states Rachel's father was Richard Davies but I can't find anything in the records that matches Richard and to Rachel

Your dates do not tie in - Rachel born 1869 and married 1876

ADDED

Marriage Mar qtr 1892   
Davies    Rachel       
NICHOLAS    Harry       
Atcham    6a   907   

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 24 16:32 GMT (UK) »
It looks like the Rachel born 1869 was illegitimate as there was no mother's maiden name listed on the GRO birth index. Furthermore Rachel will be found with the Lomax family in Castleton, Lancashire with her mother Emma Lomax in the 1881 census. Emma Davies married Samuel Lomax at St Paul, Bury, Lancashire on the 4th June 1876 and she was recorded as a spinster. Her age is given as 26 and her father was recorded as John Davies,  a gardener. Emma may have been older than 26 and adjusted her age as her husband age was given as 24.
Often people invented a father for their marriage certificate which is probably what happened with Rachel.
Ray

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 24 16:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a Rachel Davies in Westbury Shropshire in 1871 age 6 with parents Richard and Sarah
RG10
Piece  2764
Folio 24
Page 14

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 24 16:42 GMT (UK) »
DAVIES, RACHEL       mmn HARRIS 
GRO Reference: 1864  D Quarter in ATCHAM  Volume 06A  Page 625

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 24 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Rachel Cartwright Davies is a red herring and the correct Rachel Davies is from Westbury as found above. It also looks as if she was reducing her age in the Chester census as she was 7 or 8 years older than her husband Harry.
Ray

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 24 17:05 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in Westbury 5 June 1856 between Richard Davies and Sarah Harris. Residence is given as Vennington - this is the residence for the family in the census quoted by Rosie. It is also where a Rachel Davies is recorded with an older sister Emma and brother Frank in the 1891 census ( she is a dressmaker in this census).

Worth noting that ages can be " massaged" when an age gap at marriage!

William

Added: Richard Davies is recorded as a widower and Sarah Harris as a spinster.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)