Author Topic: Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures 1710-1811  (Read 170 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures 1710-1811
« on: Sunday 11 February 24 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello can someone please help explain the dates listed in these records: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/1851/

I understand that the dates in the document are when the stamp duty was paid and also the date of the articles of apprenticeship.

However there is a date at the top of each list of names and also a date to the right and a date to the left.

I am not clear on why there are three dates. If someone could explain that would be amazing.

Thank you,
Jon

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures 1710-1811
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 24 11:26 GMT (UK) »
That page seems a bit unusual Jon, it is possibly some sort of clerical error? The date on the left I think is the date the duty was paid. The date on the right is when the apprenticeship began i.e. when the indenture was signed and sealed. They also seem to count how many there were on one particular day, but sometimes it seems for the month also. I think they had different areas that dealt with apprenticeships in different parts of the country, so you get multiple pages with July 8 1719 on.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures 1710-1811
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 24 15:28 GMT (UK) »
That page seems a bit unusual Jon, it is possibly some sort of clerical error? The date on the left I think is the date the duty was paid. The date on the right is when the apprenticeship began i.e. when the indenture was signed and sealed. They also seem to count how many there were on one particular day, but sometimes it seems for the month also. I think they had different areas that dealt with apprenticeships in different parts of the country, so you get multiple pages with July 8 1719 on.

Thanks for the reply. This is a register from London in 1718 and this is indeed different, but I have seen both versions. It does not have a top date and so I still do not understand the top date on the record I first posted.

This was for London while the above one had Cornwall records, so I assume it was a different format for the different places where the stamp duty was paid. I really would like to understand more about these records though!