Author Topic: Searching for Mutley Plain 1861/71 census  (Read 364 times)

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Mutley Plain 1861/71 census
« on: Monday 12 February 24 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Sorry if this is a repeated subject.

I'm trying to find out who lived in Mutley Plain, Plymouth in 1861 and 1871 censuses. Specifically the non-Compton Gifford parish side.

I know there were cottages known as Lewis Jones' Cottages. How can I search for these without knowing anyone who lives there?

Basically I just want to go through the pages on Ancestry but you can't seem to do this by purely address.

Thank you in advance.

Phil

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Mutley Plain 1861/71 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 24 21:56 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast have address search facility on all censuses but not sure if it works without a name

Ancestry do not have an address search facility on the 1861 or 1871 censuses
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 24 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carole.

So frustrating!!

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 06:44 GMT (UK) »
This should get you started:

In the 25th January 1936 edition of the Western Morning News there is an article about Mr George Flemen, about to be 80, who recalls living in one of the Lewis Jones Cottages.

A search at Ancestry for George Flemen dob 1856 at Mutley will find him in the 1871 census living at #1 Lewis Jones Cottages (name is transcribed as Flemin).
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you don't know where the cottages were, here they are labelled on the 1856/1859 6 inch map:

http://tinyurl.com/53tzufyz

added: and on the 1854/1863 25 inch map:

http://tinyurl.com/6ssdsyzz

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper items in the 1860s

22 March 1864: Western Daily Mercury
DEATHS
AUTON–March 21, at Lewis Jones' Cottage, Mutley Plain, Agnes, widow of Mr William Auton, formerly lessee of tolls, aged 79 years.

9 April 1864: Bee-Hive
A long letter complaining about the "Hearts of Oak Benefit Society" signed by
James T Cock, 3, Lewis Jones Cottage, Mutley-plain, Plymouth, April 2nd, 1864

28 October 1864: Western Times
EXETER & PLYMOUTH
ELIGIBLE INVESTMENTS
Lot3.– The fee-simple and inheritance of and in all that Messuage or Dwelling-house, called "Lewis Jones's Cottage," containing five rooms, with a back entrance, situate and being on Mutley Plain, in Plymouth aforesaid late in the occupation of Mrs. Auton, deceased.

Also the plot of Building Land, adjoining the house, containing in depth 110 feet, with a frontage of 23 feet, facing Mutley Plain, and having an entrance from the lane at the back. The frontage of the entire property is 50 feet.

10 August 1869: Western Morning News
WANTED, by a middle aged man, to wait on a gentleman, invalid or insane. – Apply 3, Lewis Jones's Cottages, Mutley-plain, Plymouth

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Further to my reply #3: the article about George Flemen contains a lot of interesting detail about the area.

25 January 1936: Western Morning News

FARMS AND FIELDS
When Trout Were Caught On Mutley-Plain
"I have played in the hay-fields and caught trout in 'Plymouth Lake,' which is now modern Mutley," said Mr. George Flemen, who will be 80 years old on Monday, when recounting some of his reminiscences to a "Western Morning News" reporter yesterday.

Mr. Flemen, who for 68 years has been in the building and undertaking trade, and whose sons carry on the business, has lived on Mutley-plain most of his life. His first residence at Mutley was in one of the 'Lewis Jones Cottages,' the only cottages there at that time. Fifty-three years ago he moved to 1, Wolseley-terrace, his present address.

"Standing on the Plain six farms could be seen," continued Mr. Flemen, "Houndiscombe Farm, Sherrell Farm (where Seaton-avenue is now), Farmer Lake's farm at Hyde Park, Farmer Luscombe's farm, on the site of the Methodist Church, Lipson Farm, and a farm owned by another Mr. Luscombe, where Furzehill-road now stands. Alexandra-road was a field-path.

"On the left of the Plain, leaving the city, and about the middle, Plymouth ended and Plympton began," he said. " Ford Park was then in Plympton.

"Mr. Adams farmed the land where Plymouth College now stands, and Mr. and Mrs. Pritcher lived in a thatched cottage on the site of the Institution for the Blind. I have seen all the churches from Sherwell to Emmanuel built."

Mr. Flemen can also recall the days when the Mutley Methodist services were held in a small store in Hyde Park-road.

"I have lived to see the green fields of my happy boyhood days under the hand of modern progress transformed into an important shopping centre for our great and beloved city," he concluded.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 07:54 GMT (UK) »
The demise of the cottages.
5 October 1889: Western Daily Mercury
Improvements at Mutley
TWELVE months ago there stood on the eastern side of Mutley Plain, opposite the Baptist Chapel, a row of dilapidated dwelling-houses, known as Lewis Jones's Cottages. They were the last remnants of old Mutley. The cottages, with other property adjoining, were bought by Mr J. G. Ellis of Colling's-park, Compton  and since then a fine block of business premises has been erected...[detailed description follows]

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 09:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 you will find them

RG10/2113/F57 pages 29 and 30 and also F58 page 31

I havent found them in 1861
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more