Author Topic: Stonehouse National School Plymouth in 1902  (Read 163 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stonehouse National School Plymouth in 1902
« on: Monday 12 February 24 21:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm investigating a number of ancestors who grew up in East Stonehouse with Royal Marine connections from the 1850s-1900s. I'm interested to know where they might have been schooled. There seem to be a few schools marked on old maps of Stonehouse.

My first person of interest is Benjamin Pope born March 1859 and the 10th child of a Royal Marine private. His handwriting is fairly neat when he enlists at 14. His parents were both illiterate.

He then has 7 children of his own from 1882 to 1896 and he dies shortly after in 1902. I have a reference letter from the headmaster of his school which is stamped Stonehouse National School Plymouth in 1903. The question is, where would this have been? I had a helpful suggestion relating to St George's School in Stonehouse which would certainly have been running then. I believe there are admissions records at The Box in Plymouth which may be able to provide some clues.

There is also the possibility that the children attended the Royal Marine School at The Long Room. According to Brian Moseley's website  "It was founded in 1882 for the free education of the children of non-commissioned officers and men of the Royal Marines and auxiliary forces, as well as marine pensioners, and was paid for entirely by the Admiralty." In 1902 there were 434 boys and girls attending the School.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stonehouse National School Plymouth in 1902
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shaun.

That's very helpful to know. I believe there are some attendance records in existence at The Box in Plymouth. The listing of Admiralty School directly below this one might well refer to The Long Room school.