Author Topic: Jemima Mountford (1828)... Help needed!  (Read 1788 times)

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Mountford (1828)... Help needed!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 February 24 20:28 GMT (UK) »
The burial details of Hannah Mountford on the 22 Jun 1825, give the "Burial person abode as Burslem".

And the burial details of William Mountford on the 28 Oct 1827, give the "Burial person abode as Tunstall".

On the baptism of both of them, the father's occupation is Collier.

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 14:19 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 Census gives Aaron Mountfort, age 32, coal miner, unmarried, born at Marton  ???
I wonder if it could be a transcript error, and instead be Norton...?

Aaron Mountford baptism 24 May 1821 at Norton-le-Moors,
father's name: Thomas, mother's name: Ann.

What do you think?

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 14:43 GMT (UK) »
The burial details of Hannah Mountford on the 22 Jun 1825, give the "Burial person abode as Burslem".

And the burial details of William Mountford on the 28 Oct 1827, give the "Burial person abode as Tunstall".

On the baptism of both of them, the father's occupation is Collier.

This is what I meant about being careful that you are following the right family. Thomas (who was a collier) and Ann baptised lots of children at Norton le Moor

That is what bothered me about Sarah saying her father was a collier on her marriage certificate as they also had a daughter called Sarah born 1829

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Oooooh just found a Thomas Mountford born 1796 Norton on the 1851 census listed as a Labourer and widow with his brother in law Richard Adams

and the possible Thomas who is a collier born 1791 is still alive in 1851 and living with his daughter Maria and family who married a Ralph Mountford

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I see what you mean Willow...
I think there were also 2 Jemima's born in 1829 (more or less both), one the daughter of Thomas and the other one daughter of Joseph.

I don't know if this was common then: for two brothers to name their respective daughters (born more or less at the same time) with the name of their sister Jemima...  :o

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 15:07 GMT (UK) »
if you look for Thomas Mountford born in Norton on the 1851 there are loads  ;D I think every family named all the kids the same lol

Willow x

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I did that for 1841...  ;D
This was my reasoning: we know Thomas Mountford was alive in 1841 but dead by 1851. We found a death of one Thomas Mountford 18 Sep 1849 at Burslem, aged 63. That would give the birth year 1786 or 1787... Now, how many Thomas Mountford were there in Staffordshire in 1841? UKCensusOnline gives me 70!

Here are the oldest ones: giving age, approximate birth year and occupation:
70   1771   -
60   1781   Independent
60   1781   -
55   1786   Agricultural Labourer
50   1791   Coal Miner
45   1796   Hatter
45   1796   Agricultural Labourer
40   1801   Coal Miner
40   1801   Shoe Maker

One stands out!...  :)

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 17:56 GMT (UK) »
"Ages in the 1841 Census:
The census takers were instructed to give the exact ages of children but to round the ages of those older than 15 down to a lower multiple of 5. For example, a 59-year-old person would be listed as 55. Not all census enumerators followed these instructions."

Quoted from FamilySearch

Reflecting about this, maybe the Coal Miner was 54 years old (born about 1787) but had to state 50 on the census...

But, on the other hand, Willow said the Thomas Mountford born in 1791 and who was a collier, was still alive in 1851. So this would rule him out, in my opinion.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 22 February 24 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Might have to go back to basics a bit why do you think Jemima is the sister of your Sarah?

Willow x