Author Topic: Jemima Mountford (1828)... Help needed!  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Mountford (1828)... Help needed!
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Think that one is a good bet and yes St Bartholomews is the church at Norton

This might be Josephs marriage

29.7.1783 at St Peter ad Vincula Stoke on Trent Joseph Mountford of Norton to Ann Brindley of Norton (no idea why they were married in Stoke - maybe Norton wasnt licenced for marriages)

Possible baptisms for Joseph and Ann at St Bartholomews (it gets a bit tricky as there is a couple with the same name baptising children at Stoke that I'm not sure is them so I will stick to the Norton ones)

23.5.1790 Jemima (looks like Thomas named his daughter after her aunt which is a good sign we are on the right track)
15.3.1796 Joseph
29.5.1785 Sarah

Possible burials Joseph 31.8.1818 aged 77 (1742) Ann 5.5.1837 aged 76 (1761)

There is a baptism of a Nancy Brindley 14.3.1762 at Norton parents Thomas and Mary - Nancy is an alternative name of Ann sometimes

The only baptism I can see for a Joseph in Norton is in 1731 so not sure on this one. Burials are a bit of a pain because they are all the National Burial Index on FindMyPast at the moment so don't always give ages and you havent got the parish record to look at either

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Back to the Lawtons in Biddulph at St Lawrence

John Lawton married Lydia Copland 26.1.1725
Lydia (Lydy) buried 18.6.1759

if John was still alive when Lydia died he was buried 31.12.1784 (might have to check the baptisms to these two to see which other children they had because he would be near 90 when he died and the other two deaths are 1741 & 1743)

Lidea Copland baptised 7.8.1694 parents John and Ellin

Ellin was buried 11.3.1722

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm still wondering why we didn't find a baptism for Harriet Mountford...  ???

After much searching with no results, I saw on the 1851 Census that the approximate birth year was 1838, and it occurred to me that it could be listed on FreeBMD (since it could be after 1837)  8)  [It also says she was born at Oseworth, Staffordshire].

I found 3 possible births for Harriet Mountford:

SEP 1838   Harriet Mountford at Stoke on Trent,
DEC 1838   Harriet Montford at Newcastle under Lyme, and
DEC 1838   Harriett Mountford at Wolstanton.    :o

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Useful trick is to register with the GRO site it lists mothers maiden name in the searches

The MMN's are Mountford Billings and Harris I suspect she was born early 1837 or she was never registered

but yes not finding the baptism is annoying and I have no idea where Oseworth is unless its misspelt and its Oswestry

Willow x

Offline little blue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 08 March 24 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information.  I've only just noticed your replies. I think they could have married in stoke as it may have been to look a bit posh  ;D I have another relative that came from the potteries who married at Astbury Church in Cheshire. I've not done much on my tree for years as I hit a brick wall , but since then more information has been released census wise .I need to re acquaint myself with my deceased relatives on my pc 🤣

Little blue
every little helps

Offline Moragdon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 06 April 24 09:46 BST (UK) »
An amazing amount of beautifully researched work and puzzling you’ve both done on this Ch1st1an and Willow, a delight to see. Also some aspects are very interesting for me, as I have many of those surnames in my Staffordshire & Cheshire family Tree.
I will see if those mentioned match up with those in my more distant branches. Thank you so much for the ‘List’ compilation too.
Best wishes.
Dynan, McNamara, with potentially O’Dea, Casey, Mahoney, O’Neill and other historic Irish, likely Co Clare surname connections.