Author Topic: James Brown (unfortunately)  (Read 747 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Brown (unfortunately)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 February 24 09:58 GMT (UK) »

I shall be watching this thread to see what he put as father's name and occupation on that marriage entry when you track it down ...

According to the indexed entry on FS his Dad was Isaac and hers was George. (see reply 5 in this thread for the link)

Boo

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 February 24 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Ah heck, thanks Ticketty.  I did read carefully all of the answers to date but didn't click/follow the link in the response you're referring to. Lesson learnt.  Well, FH is all about working on hunches and theories which you can either support or shoot down based on the the available evidence.  And following Golden Rule #1 : never try to move back further until you have proved to your own satisfaction that you are still moving up the right tree.

I did notice on looking at this that several people on Ancestry have mis-attributed James Brown on their trees as a preacher b. Lowick c1834.  But, hey, why let the evidence get in the way when you can add to the Ancestry mayhem ;-)  Now that FH is more and more "crowd-sourced", you do wonder what will happen in the future when everyone just accepts and imports everyone else's nonsense. If 99 people have the wrong info and 1 the correct, guess which one will hold sway...  Maybe we should go for establishing our Ancestry on a majority-vote basis rather than evidence-based.  It might make your DNA results a bit confusing though.
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 February 24 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon

Yes the OP would need to see the original record to know more which is why I suggested an FHC or the archives copy as the best and cheapest option either by visiting Woodhorn or spending approx half the amount of a GRO cert.
NB the date on that indexed record is just over 3 weeks prior to the date given for the marriage in the newspaper.
Given that FS often just lump banns registers in with the actual marriage registers my personal choice would be the archives who do actually realise there is an important difference :-)

Boo

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 February 24 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Boo and everyone for their assistance - its a mine field out there and lots of 'researchers' tend to 'follow' someone else's 'lead' without any of their own evidence or research.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this search

Sue