Author Topic: James Brown (unfortunately)  (Read 748 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Brown (unfortunately)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 15:19 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=851508.0

Hi aidansrest,
You will see from the above thread link that North Shields local studies has the Stamfordham baptisms.  I believe this would be St Mary the Virgin Church.
I went there this morning on way home and had a look through all the 1830s baptisms.  There was only one for a James Brown but in the entry he is recorded as John James Brown and his Father is not called Isaac and he would be a little older.  So perhaps the one I found is not the one you are after but I will write the info anyway just in case:

Entry 855
John James Brown
Son of Nathaniel & Ann Brown
Tailor
Baptised 6 August 1832
Abode Stamfordham

https://one-name.org/marriage-locator/

Also Marriage Locator indicates marriage you mention was at St Mary the Virgin, Longframlington.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much!! I'm convinced that James' father was Isaac Brown (although no baptism record), and his mother was Mary Swan.
The couple married in Longhorsley on the 6th October 1832.
I suspect that James may have been their first child.

Many thanks

Sue

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 15:43 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.  It was worth a try. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 15:51 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be a difference between Stamford and Stamfordham.
https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/stamford-northumberland/
“Stamford is a hamlet in Northumberland located about 4 miles north-east of Alnwick and just over half a mile from the village of Rennington. Stamford is part of the Civil Parish of Rennington; historically it was within the ancient Parish of Embleton.”
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - clicked too soon

https://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Stamfordham.htm

Stamfordham
Stamfordham is a parish and village in mid Northumberland. It lies on the River Pont 19 kilometres (12 miles) north west of Newcastle upon Tyne and 21 kilometres (13 miles) east north east of Hexham.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I was just down the long lane from Matfen Hall recently.  I took a photo of a sign post.  It looks like Stamfordham is about 3  1/2 miles from Matfen area.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Just popping in to add that, as Heywood has said, Stamford and Stamfordham are two totally separate places.

The go-to site for Northumberland place-names is here (thanks to the late, great Brian Pears) https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Gazetteer

Stamford was a township of the parish of Embleton by the coast to the north-east of Alnwick.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Embleton

Stamfordham was a parish in its own right to the north-west of Newcastle upon Tyne https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Stamfordham

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Heywood is right, apologies, I think I have got very confused with it all. :-[

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 February 24 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Another possibility:  James Brown baptized at Bamburgh 5 May 1833 born 7 April, son of John Brown, husbandman, and Hannah nee Straughan or Strachan. (the original entry is viewable in the LDS BTs and on FindMyPast)

His family's residence at the time of his baptism is given as Swinhoe, approx. 7 miles up the road from Stamford but I wonder if this could be the "Swind" in that 1901 census entry and the "Winer" in the 1891 entry.

No sign of any Isaac in the family but he did have a brother called George.

I shall be watching this thread to see what he put as father's name and occupation on that marriage entry when you track it down ...

In 1841, the family can be seen at Adderstone Mains near Bamburgh (HO107/818 bk 1 fo 6 pg 10) and in 1851 at Bamburgh (HO107/2420 fo 184 pg 29).  In 1861, they're at Shipley Mill (close to Stamford) and James is no longer in the household, as you'd expect to be the case if this is the same James who married Margaret Faill. (RG9/3880 fo 82 pg 8 )
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)