Author Topic: "College" District in Aberdeen?  (Read 205 times)

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
"College" District in Aberdeen?
« on: Tuesday 13 February 24 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all the wonderful folks on RC, I have been gone a while but I have returned!
Hope all the great folks are still here and well!

So now that the 50 year privacy rule has expired, I finally was able to obtain the image of the DC for my GG-Uncle who passed in 1972 in Inverurie. Not much useful info but it does give more information about his foster-daughter,********. Her address is listed as Meadow Cottage, Upper Coltown, Kintore. Trying to trace a birth record for her I've hit on three or four possibles. The closest and most likely is in Ellon, but one of the others the RD is listed as "COLLEGE". I am unable to find any further info on this as all the searches just keep coming up with various College's such as the Univerity of Aberdeen. Anyone able to help with this?

I will next try and find if ******* married and had any children. Would love to find her if she is still alive. She would be in her 70's now at least.

Take care all!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: "College" District in Aberdeen?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid that as she is still possibly living you will have to remove her name from your post. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid that as she is still possibly living you will have to remove her name from your post.

Done. Still wondering about the College thing, Thanks.
Black, Ross - Rathven
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 17:41 GMT (UK) »
According to data at

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/research/statutory-registers/registration-district-guide.pdf

the only recent RD named College was in Glasgow from 1935-1955. The table also says:
Old RD 644 7 (not sure what that 7 signifies)
Todays RD 601 624

I separately looked at a dataset for 1851-1901 and did not find an RD called College at that time.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 18:01 GMT (UK) »
the only recent RD named College was in Glasgow from 1935-1955. The table also says:
Old RD 644 7 (not sure what that 7 signifies)
Yes. The only RD named College was in the city of Glasgow. It was RD No 644.7 from 1935 until 1955.

The number assigned to Glasgow parish was 644. It was subdivided into a variety of RDs, each of which was given a separate sub-district number. These changed over time as the boundaries of the RDs were altered.

The whole thing was further complicated because the parish number for Barony was 622, and that for Govan was 646, and various RDs in the city were allocated numbers which were subdivisions of those rather than of 644.

All original parish and RD numbers were scrapped in 1971 and the districts and RDs were re-numbered from 1972.

So any event in College did not take place in Aberdeen.

Aberdeen city's number was 168, and there were various subdivisions of 168. Since 1972 Aberdeen's number has been 300, but sometimes, if there is a large number of events, it spills over into 301.

Rural parishes in the county of Aberdeen (aka Aberdeenshire) were numbered from 169 (Aberdour) to 249 (Udny) under the old system until 1971, but since they *****ed up local government areas in 1975 I have lost track of which RD numbers are now in Aberdeenshire - and that is further complicated because they gave the name Aberdeenshire to an area that now includes all of Kincardineshire and about a third of Banffshire as well as most of the proper county of Aberdeenshire.

Inverurie was RD No 204, but it is now No 319.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Very helpful everyone, as always! Hello again Forfarian, hope you are well!

So that likely leaves out the College birth, meaning probables are left with Huntly 1954 and Ellon 1952.  A young lady with that name married the same year of my relatives death also in Inverurie. The first and middle name match the Huntly birth, but that would make her barely 18 at the marriage. Perhaps not unlikely considering she was a foster-daughter, so maybe no other family or means of support after my relatives passing? Thoughts?
Black, Ross - Rathven