Author Topic: William Buckler - Nuneaton  (Read 368 times)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Buckler - Nuneaton
« on: Tuesday 13 February 24 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to step back one more generation into the past throughout my family tree, at this point I'm mostly into the 1700s and going round in circles, so I thought I'd post one of these here.

Frances (Fanny) Buckler was baptised on 19 Jul 1801 in Nuneaton, her father was William Buckler, her mother was Hannah Buckler. She married Joseph Arnold in 1818 and had a child, Eliza, from whom I am directly related. Joseph died in 1861 and Frances remarried in 1863 to Joseph Allsopp, her father is listed as William Buckler on the marriage certificate (so I'm happy with this link).

I'm not having such luck with William. A 'William Buckler' married Hannah Web 9 Aug 1798, so one would suspect that this record relates to Frances' parents. William is listed as a widower on the marriage (I have no idea who he was first married to, might be Jane or Elizabeth?).

William Buckler appears to be a common name in the area, so my focus has been on Hannah Buckler. There's a Hannah Buckler buried 3 Nov 1816 in Nuneaton and on the transcript it does state "Hannah wife of William Buckler", though her age is given at 58. Meaning that she would have been 43 when Frances was born and 40 when she married for the first time(?) - unlikely?

A Hannah Buckler married a "William Baddeley" in 1810. She's also listed as a widow, so perhaps William died before 1810? I think there were deaths in Nuneaton for "William Buckler" in 1803 and 1807 but no ages were specified.

As you can probably see, I'm going in circles a bit but I'd love to verify more regarding William Buckler and Hannah Buckler (Web?)

Any help is much appreciated.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Buckler - Nuneaton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Re: marriage of William Buckler to Hannah Web also says his occupation is Sergeant.

The license is on FindMyPast says he is 40 years old and Hannah is 23 (second page) 

The other person who signed with him is Thomas Truswell a school master

ADDED
The William Buckler who married 1782 Jane Ebury was a ribbon weaver
The William Buckler married Hannah Redgate 1778 was a ribbon weaver.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 10:22 GMT (UK) »
There are bapts 1779-1803 in Nuneaton for a WILLIAM/HANNAH Buckler..

May be mostly children of William and Hannah Redgate..

The 1816 Burial may be of Hannah Buckler nee Redgate
So married much younger than 40 and still able to have children c 1801

Bit of a difficult one for your Frances/Fanny as to her which Hannah was her Mother.

I see on the 1863 her Father William was a Publican.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Re: marriage of William Buckler to Hannah Web also says his occupation is Sergeant.

The license is on FindMyPast says he is 40 years old and Hannah is 23 (second page) 

The other person who signed with him is Thomas Truswell a school master

ADDED
The William Buckler who married 1782 Jane Ebury was a ribbon weaver
The William Buckler married Hannah Redgate 1778 was a ribbon weaver.

Thanks. I don't have access to FindMyPast, so this is really handy to know, as we have both their ages.

Does FindMyPast have the ages for the marriage between Hannah Buckler and William Baddeley in 1810 (Nuneaton)?

There are bapts 1779-1803 in Nuneaton for a WILLIAM/HANNAH Buckler..

May be mostly children of William and Hannah Redgate..

The 1816 Burial may be of Hannah Buckler nee Redgate
So married much younger than 40 and still able to have children c 1801

Bit of a difficult one for your Frances/Fanny as to her which Hannah was her Mother.

I see on the 1863 her Father William was a Publican.

Realistically we'd only expect children from Hannah Web from 1798 onwards, so yes mostly Hannah Redgate. I'll take a look myself but if you have the baptisms at hand, then it would be useful to have them. I'm using Ancestry, so if they're on there I should find them all :)

No idea how I'm going to figure out which couple. It's not like I have census information to look for visitors, nieces or nephews etc.

I wonder if William Buckler Sergeant became a publican after his service? Seems a reasonable profession to have taken up. Then we're left with the mystery of what happened to William and his wife (if going with Hannah Web)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 21:02 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry in UK, Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900 for William Buckler

Name: William Buckler   
DOB: 1755   
Where born: Nuneaton, Warwick   
Trade: Weaver
Military Date: 1783-1806   
Unit: 52nd Foot Soldiers

Might be the one who married Hannah Web?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 24 04:53 GMT (UK) »
See reply 1
The William Buckler who married Hannah Redgate 1778 was a ribbon weaver.

Any children of William and Hannah if the father 's occupation is listed would have ribbon weaver.
--------------------

The William who married Hannah Web was 40 years old and in the military a totally different man.

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 February 24 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Let me say from the start the William Buckler ribbon weaver wasn't yours.He left a Will mentioning his children William,Thomas,Martha and John ,no mention of Fanny. Daughter Ann married to Thomas Orton in 1805 .Three  others Zacherus 1784-1804 and Rebecca 1786-1788 and Jane 1797-2.11.1798 seem to be theirs.He died 1822 and is of The Common born c1745.The burial for Hannah in 1816 is also of The Common and  has to be his wife Hannah Redgate.

So We have William marrying 1798 age 40 saying he is a Sergeant.Hannah is 21 or 23 depending on which bit of the licence you go for ,page 1 or 2.So birth c 1776.
There is Ann or James 1799
Fanny 1801 and Sarah 7th April 1803.
Then 2 possible deaths for William
29th May 1803 William son of william (unusually the Vicar includes the parents names on older teenagers ,twenty somethings but it is pushing it.)
9 .June 1807 William Buckler

And it must be one or the other because you're right Hannah remarries 22.9.1810 to William Baddeley who is a 23 year old blacksmith from Chilvers Cotton.She is a widow age 30
However her burial at Chilvers Cotton gives us 1769-25.9.1859 and she is on the 1851 census as 81 years so born c 1770 from Bedworth . William buried 27.3.1854 age 75 .
Their children are
Alice 31.5.1811,Sophia 7.4.1813 and William 3.9.1815 all at Nuneaton.
The records give us no occupation or address, The Market place Publican and Abbey St Blacksmith.

It very much seems William Baddiley took over the Pub in the Market place which was once William Bucklers.Could it be the Old Black Horse or the Peacock?
Alice Baddiley goes on to have a daughter Frances 29 .5.1831 at Chilvers Cotton.

So we are after a William Buckler born 1755 Nuneaton and a Hannah Web born 1769-1780 Bedworth.

That gives us
William s of Thomas and Elizabeth 14.7.1754 or
William s of Robert and Jane 6.7.1755.
The latter has a sister Fanny born 18.1.1764

Ciderdrinker

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 February 24 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon
This seems to be the first wife
Elizabeth wife of William Buckler buried 17.1.1796

Children Margaret age 1 year and Mary 18 May 1785 .Mary buried 4.6.1794.
Samuel and William baptised 27 Dec 1790 .
Jane 10.7.1796-2.11.1798

Samuel did join up 28.12.1811 and served in the 8th Royal Irish Regiment of Hussars. He got a pension in 1827 age 37 because of his rheumatism.
He was at Waterloo. He also seems to have claimed a middle name Smith.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 February 24 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Let me say from the start the William Buckler ribbon weaver wasn't yours.He left a Will mentioning his children William,Thomas,Martha and John ,no mention of Fanny. Daughter Ann married to Thomas Orton in 1805 .Three  others Zacherus 1784-1804 and Rebecca 1786-1788 and Jane 1797-2.11.1798 seem to be theirs.He died 1822 and is of The Common born c1745.The burial for Hannah in 1816 is also of The Common and  has to be his wife Hannah Redgate.

So We have William marrying 1798 age 40 saying he is a Sergeant.Hannah is 21 or 23 depending on which bit of the licence you go for ,page 1 or 2.So birth c 1776.
There is Ann or James 1799
Fanny 1801 and Sarah 7th April 1803.
Then 2 possible deaths for William
29th May 1803 William son of william (unusually the Vicar includes the parents names on older teenagers ,twenty somethings but it is pushing it.)
9 .June 1807 William Buckler

And it must be one or the other because you're right Hannah remarries 22.9.1810 to William Baddeley who is a 23 year old blacksmith from Chilvers Cotton.She is a widow age 30
However her burial at Chilvers Cotton gives us 1769-25.9.1859 and she is on the 1851 census as 81 years so born c 1770 from Bedworth . William buried 27.3.1854 age 75 .
Their children are
Alice 31.5.1811,Sophia 7.4.1813 and William 3.9.1815 all at Nuneaton.
The records give us no occupation or address, The Market place Publican and Abbey St Blacksmith.

It very much seems William Baddiley took over the Pub in the Market place which was once William Bucklers.Could it be the Old Black Horse or the Peacock?
Alice Baddiley goes on to have a daughter Frances 29 .5.1831 at Chilvers Cotton.

So we are after a William Buckler born 1755 Nuneaton and a Hannah Web born 1769-1780 Bedworth.

That gives us
William s of Thomas and Elizabeth 14.7.1754 or
William s of Robert and Jane 6.7.1755.
The latter has a sister Fanny born 18.1.1764

Ciderdrinker

Honestly, I have no idea how some of you find this information. I'll literally be stuck on something for years, spend countless hours researching and boom, I post on here and it's like oh it's probably this lol.

I have a few questions if that's alright? Where did you find the will for William Buckler? Where did you find the reference for the Marketplace Publican?

This website gives us the following pubs in the Marketplace: https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/warwickshire/nuneaton.html
  • Board
  • Castle
  • Clock
  • Crystal Palace
  • Peacock
  • White Hart
  • White Swan

I read the 1851 census record for Hannah's birthplace as Kenilworth but it does also look like Bedworth, plus Bedworth makes a lot more sense.

On the off-chance the death certificate of Hannah Baddeley offered any insight, low and behold.. Joseph Arnold of Stockingford was present at the death, which was Frances (Fanny's) husband! So yes cinderdrinker, you appear to be correct (not that I am surprised!)

So I think the mystery is certainly partially solved. It would be good to get further confirmation if William's death was 1803 or 1807 and the parents of William and Hannah. I think you have a good candidate already cinderdrinker with Robert and Jane (to be fair, this information likely rules out the 1803 death, as that was William son of William?)

Many thanks again for everyones help. Not often I progress direct relations.