Author Topic: William Buckler - Nuneaton  (Read 366 times)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Buckler - Nuneaton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 February 24 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again
Yes the Will for William Buckler is on FindMyPast ,it's at Staffordshire Archives which are shut at the moment but if you want a copy pm me with your email address and I'll pass it on.But it's for the ribbon weaver which isn't yours.
The reference to the Marketplace publican is on the baptism for Sophia Baddiley's baptism in 1813 at Nuneaton.Their first child's baptism is of the old sort of register and has no more than the basic details but after 1812 they should have an occupation and an address.
Looking at old maps of the Market place  and latter Trade Directory entries in the 1880s The Peacock is sometimes in the Market Place and sometimes in Abbey St .So going with the two addresses on the Baddiley children's baptisms I'd go for The Peacock. The couple took over the pub when William Buckler died ,in 1807 and ran it together for a while to 1813.The 1815 baptism seems to suggest William Baddiley has gone back to blacksmithing while Hannah perhaps is running the pub. I haven't managed to find details fo the early days of The Peacock.

I've had another look at the 1851 census and you're right it does look like Kenilworth.I just took the index entry on FindMyPast.I should've looked.
still can't see a baptism though.

Ciderdrinker