Author Topic: King family in Whitehaven  (Read 165 times)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
King family in Whitehaven
« on: Wednesday 14 February 24 10:28 GMT (UK) »
After a long break I've restarted researching the family name. I've hit a brick wall with regards as to where the family name  from originally. If I start with GGGF who was a cabinet maker at 76 Lowther Street in Whitehaven and carried on business, employing many men, until his death in 1865. There are several references to him local publications and in national reference books. Prior to him there were William and Michael King who were looking-glass manufacturers, sheet glass, and posibilly clock makers. residing at one stage in King street. I can get back as far as birth date for Michael King  1713 with a death date of 1787 (not totally confirmed). I know Whitehaven was an up and coming town with coal mining,etc so it's more and likely they came for the work. But, from Where? I've looked at many sites specializing in listing local Whitehaven family names and King does not appear. Any info or suggestions would be gratefully received. M King

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: King family in Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 12:22 GMT (UK) »
If I start with GGGF who was a cabinet maker at 76 Lowther Street in Whitehaven and carried on business, employing many men, until his death in 1865.

In 1841 he is an  'Upholsterer'. William A.(S?) King , later census confirm place of birth as Whitehaven.

William Alkin King married Agnes Hodgson 16 Aug 1832.

ADDED

Michael King married Ann Alkin at Whitehaven 26 Oct 1752
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 12:56 GMT (UK) »
During the American Revolutionary War John Paul Jones commanded the USS Ranger, and "invaded" Whitehaven on April 23rd 1778.

There seems to be a tenuous Alkin connection to this event: from the Cumberland Pacquet, and Ware's Whitehaven Advertiser dated 28 April 1778.

To the PUBLIC
Whitehaven, April 27th, 1778
WHEREAS I, JOHN BIRKHEAD, (Letter Carrier to this Post Office) have reported that I delivered to Mrs SARAH ALKIN, at the Grapes in Marlborough-street, a LETTER directed to Paul Jones (to the Care of the said Mrs Alkin) and which Report has been circulated through this Town to the Prejudice of her Character and Business.

I do therefore in Order to remove any Prejudice that might arise to the said Mrs Alkin in Consequence of this Report, DECLARE, that I never did deliver any such Letter to the said Mrs Alkin, and that my Assertions with Respect to this Matter are absolutely false.

In Proof of which I hereby set my Hand, in Order that the same may be made Public.

JOHN BIRKHEAD
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

It would be great to view such a map.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Michael

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Michael, you aren’t supposed to post email addresses, hence my PM. You should probably delete your message, but I have made a note of the address.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon