Author Topic: William Stickland, Steeple - No Show After 1841  (Read 362 times)

Offline TheOnlyRogueAngel

• RootsChat Member
  • Bringing order to utter chaos.
    • View Profile
Re: William Stickland, Steeple - No Show After 1841
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 February 24 12:25 GMT (UK) »
And the strange thing, for me anyway, is that Hannah, Jesse and William are back with William Hopkins in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census for England.
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 February 24 14:23 GMT (UK) »
And the strange thing, for me anyway, is that Hannah, Jesse and William are back with William Hopkins in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census for England.

Yes I saw that too, I wonder where William Hopkins was in 1871, when William Stickland, Hannah and the children were in Jersey. I can't find any of WH, WS, Hannah or children in 1861. But Harriet was born in Jersey about 6 months before the 1861 census, so you would expert to find some of them there. I wonder which William was Harriet's father. If WH he was probably in Jersey at some time too. Did WS die between 1871 and 1881 and Hannah then returned to her legal husband? All very confusing
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline TheOnlyRogueAngel

• RootsChat Member
  • Bringing order to utter chaos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 February 24 17:49 GMT (UK) »
@LizzieL, William Hopkins is Harriet's father...  :o I just found the baptism entry in St. Helier... she is registered as Harriet Hopkins. Which begs the question why were the Hopkins family named Stickland in the 1871 census.? I'm sure the William Stickland is actually William Hopkins.. and that there was no William Stickland.

Which means I'm back to square one.  ::)
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].