Author Topic: Michael Joseph Davey - Melbourne policeman  (Read 694 times)

Offline SimonDu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Joseph Davey - Melbourne policeman
« on: Wednesday 14 February 24 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to do some research into the career of a Melbourne policeman who was active from 1902 to 1932. I'm having a problem with the start of his career because there were from 1902-1908 TWO PC Daveys working out of North Melbourne police station.

I'd love to know if the other PC Davey was a relative, or was Davey just a common surname around Melbourne at the time and it was pure coincidence?

I also need to know which of the cases I have seen reported in newspaper archives involving "Constable Davey" were dealt with by Michael Joseph Davey and which were by the other PC Davey. I'm guessing I may have to go to Victorian Police Archives to ask more but if anybody has any tips, please let me know.

According to an obituary I read of MJ Davey, he was part of the King's personal bodyguard during a Royal visit to Australia in 1927. Any hints on how I can find out more about this - itinerary, duration, incidents? - also gratefully received.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Joseph Davey - Melbourne policeman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
You already have this obituary, but others may like to read it for background.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/172201490

Death registration.

DAVEY Michael Joseph
Mother  Eliza HEALEY
Father DAVEY Michael
Born BALLARAT
Died COBURG
Aged 70
7438/1942

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 24 02:16 GMT (UK) »
The other Constable DAVEY was John DAVEY .  He lived at 50 Howard Street North Melb in 1899.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/103376198

In 1898 his child named Harry was seriously burned in North Melbourne.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/241870153

This child was born in Violet town in 1895 .
DAVEY Harry Roy
Mother  Cath Elizth BANKS
Father   Jno
VIOLET TN
33326/1895

This son’s WW1 and WW2  service histories can be seen at
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/

And his father John DAVEY  is his next of kin in the first instance. John’s address is the Police Station at Broadford, Vic.

Harry married Myrtle Eileen . There was a son according to the record. I will look for further infromation on this family.
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 24 05:03 GMT (UK) »
It would be interesting to know whether he had the personal bodyguard role for the whole of the Royal Visit in 1927, or only for the time the Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) were in Victoria.  The Royal visit was for the opening of Parliament in Canberra. The couple spent 12 days in New South Wales, seven in Queensland, four in Tasmania, eleven in Victoria, six in South Australia, six in Western Australia and three in the Australian Capital Territory, with the remaining 10 for travelling and recreation.

Lots of mentions of the tour on Trove.  The group was in Victoria in April 1927

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SimonDu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 24 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. So, Sue, it looks like John Davey was no obvious relative of Michael Joseph? Just a coincidence to have two PC Daveys on the same beat at same time.
And yes Judith, I imagine he would only have been on the Victorian section, but he did go inter-state for some of the crimes he investigated so he may have been on more than one section. Would be good to know.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 24 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry.com.au has Police service records but they only go to 1924 and MJD is based in Melbourne Criminal Investigation.
https://guides.slv.vic.gov.au/occupations/police

The State Library of Victoria (above) has many Police records but you may not be in Melbourne ?

shume  australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline SimonDu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 24 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Ah but this is really useful, Shume, because the period where I have my two PC Daveys is 1902-8 or 9. I used to be in Melbourne, which is where I first heard of MJD, but am now in UK, but if I need an excuse to spend a few weeks in police archives or public records VIC I'll get back on a plane in the coming months!

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 February 24 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but I live about 2 hours drive from Melbourne but if you put a request on a general? board there might be someone who lives in Melbourne who could help you. Worth trying and cheaper than a plane ticket although the weather might be warmer!
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline SimonDu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 February 24 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Actually I'd quite like an excuse to come back over: I lived in VIC till 2 years ago and still have half my stuff in storage there. But I'd like to be sure I can pore over police records before I book, say, 2 or 3 weeks back there to research this