Author Topic: Tonbridge Workhouse - possible Look Up please  (Read 333 times)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tonbridge Workhouse - possible Look Up please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 10:07 GMT (UK) »
On the 1839 tithe map the farm labelled as Hungerden on the OS maps that I linked to previously is called Great Hungerden Farm and is in the occupation of Joseph Judge.

The 1841 census has Joseph Judge, 65, farmer, at Hungerden with William Judge, 20 among others.

There is a good candiate for a death registration for Joseph Judge in 1849, with associated burial and a will.

Conclusion: clearly Caleb Fred would have reported to his own master, who is apparently William Judge. William Judge is of Hungerden Farm, where the inquest was held. Presumably "Headcorn-road farm" was an alternative, local name for Hungerden. Thus the pond where John Fry drowned was on Hungerden Farm somewhere. Unfortunately, having studied both the tithe map and the OS maps, I have concluded that there are too many ponds to choose from.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tonbridge Workhouse - possible Look Up please
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 February 24 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Basically, I'm trying to find John’s death/burial and I've looked in all of the 'obvious' places. I’m beginning to think that he died in the Workhouse. He was not on 1861 Census there.

17 Jun 1852 burial in Frittenden, Kent
Notes: Man Aged Between 30 & 40, 5'3" in Height, Found Drowned In A Pond In This Parish
John Fry (age 48)
Residence: Frant

John Fry's name is added to the bottom of the burial register page, and referenced to the drowning note above with an asterisk (*)

Hello Ashtone

Thank you for your post - that's great! (I haven't been able to find the Frittenden buriai record anywhere online).  :(   I'm very grateful indeed.

Hello Alan

I'm really delighted with your detailed information and for going the extra mile to help me. What more can I say!

Thanks,
Melbell