Author Topic: RomanCatholic Burial Records For Shorncliffe Military Cemetery.  (Read 886 times)

Offline Farelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RomanCatholic Burial Records For Shorncliffe Military Cemetery.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Are you saying that the MOD doesn't have any burial records, or just not those for Catholic burials? If it's latter, then I would suggest trying the nearest Roman Catholic Church in the area. Army Chaplains represent all of the major world faiths, and so I would have assumed it would have been an Army RC Chaplain who dealt with the funeral service and interment rather than a local priest, and records would be held centrally for the whole cemetery. If the MOD don't have any records, I would suggest trying Kent archives in Maidstone. The Remembrance Trust have previously done some remedial work in the cemetery, so it might be worth contacting them first: https://www.theremembrancetrust.com/shorncliffe-cemetery

@bearkat. HQ 2 Inf Bde closed down about 9 years ago.

@Andy J2022  The two RC Churches that served the Cemetery are both long gone.   The Mod has a Burial Register, but it is incomplete and does not show the location of burials. Most of the grave markers prior to 1900 were wood. They too have long since rotted away. Only one remains. The rememberancetrust all good people, are unable to help.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 February 24 08:46 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

You obviously know a lot about it. It is a beautiful cemetery.

Would the Catholic Record Society have any burial records for Shorncliffe?  They have some baptisms.

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Farelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 February 24 10:05 GMT (UK) »
@bearkat  Thank you. I have just sent an email to them.