Author Topic: Woman as “Senior”  (Read 502 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Woman as “Senior”
« on: Wednesday 14 February 24 22:08 GMT (UK) »
When my ancestor Anna Maria (Pearse) Winch/Wynch died in January of 1755, shortly after giving birth to daughter Hannah, also my ancestor, she is buried in Alfriston, Sussex, as Anna Maria Wynch, Sen.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a woman designated as senior.  It was handy though, to know it wasn’t her eldest daughter Anna Maria, as no age was given.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woman as “Senior”
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 24 07:04 GMT (UK) »
In my home town, Portishead population c9000, my mother was known by some tradesmen as Mrs Garrad Junior.
This was to distinguish her from  my Nan, her mother-in-law, who was known as Mrs Garrad Senior.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 24 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I've seen the term applied to women, but rarely.
I was reading a will the other day written by a widow called Sarah, she referred to herself as senior. She did have a daughter called Sarah, but by the time Sarah snr wrote her will, her daughter was married so had a different surname. So would Sarah jnr be her daughter - although there would be no confusion at the time the will was written? 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 24 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I've seen the term applied to women, but rarely.
I was reading a will the other day written by a widow called Sarah, she referred to herself as senior. She did have a daughter called Sarah, but by the time Sarah snr wrote her will, her daughter was married so had a different surname. So would Sarah jnr be her daughter - although there would be no confusion at the time the will was written?

Could there have a been another local woman, younger than she, with the same name?

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 24 12:17 GMT (UK) »
It is possible, I haven't looked into it that deeply. I assumed it would have to be her relative. I haven't found any sons born to her (who might have married a Sarah and therefore had the same surname), only two daughters.

I suppose using senior and junior is rare for woman because of the surname change at marriage and because they would be identified and differentiated from namesakes in other ways. e.g "Sarah wife / widow of X" or "Sarah daughter of X" etc
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 24 12:25 GMT (UK) »
It is possible, I haven't looked into it that deeply. I assumed it would have to be her relative. I haven't found any sons born to her (who might have married a Sarah and therefore had the same surname), only two daughters.

I suppose using senior and junior is rare for woman because of the surname change at marriage and because they would be identified and differentiated from namesakes in other ways. e.g "Sarah wife / widow of X" or "Sarah daughter of X" etc

There’s always those clergymen and clerks who provided more information than required of them (bless ‘em); then there are those that don’t even include the age at death!
In this same family group, I have an adult relative designated as son of… no age but I know they are referring to him as he left a will.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 24 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Anna Maria Winch Junior married William Stevens and had 18 children!  She lived to be 54 so childbirth didn’t kill her, but she may have been just worn out.