Author Topic: William Birkett Marriage at Grasmere, Westmorland  (Read 170 times)

Offline MJF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Birkett Marriage at Grasmere, Westmorland
« on: Thursday 15 February 24 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Does anyone have access to the Grasmere church records? I have a marriage record of William Birkett to Hannah Grave, 8 March 1819 at Grasmere. Would the entry in the parish registry name the Fathers of these two? Thanks

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Birkett Marriage at Grasmere, Westmorland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 24 10:41 GMT (UK) »
There is a Pallot’s record of this baptism:

Wm. Birkett
(Jas. & Ann)
Troutbeck, Wesmld.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 24 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Bishops transcripts available at a FamilySearch library

https://www.familysearch.org/search/film/008037323?cat=468237

But no, one wouldn’t expect fathers to be named at that period. However witnesses might be useful.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 24 10:46 GMT (UK) »
And another candidate from FindMyPast, not an image
William Birkett 1797 Grasmere, father William

It occurs to me that you already know about these baptisms and are trying to work out which one married Hannah Grave?
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline MJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 24 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies.
Alan, It all started with a will! The will of William Birkett of Middleriggs, Troutbeck, 1872. In the will it mentions amongst others my 3rd Great Grandfather and his siblings who were the children of James Birkett & Ann Coward of Skelwith Bridge, Cousins.  James & Ann had a son James & also a William. William is not named in the will as a child of James & Ann so I presumed by the date of the will being written that he was deceased. The will also mentions a James of Grasmere and his Brother William of Crossgill Mill, Caton, Lancs. So, these two are separate people i.e., not the children of James & Ann. William of Crossgill mill inherited the family silver & more money than the others mentioned so, I think may have been a closer family member. I am trying to find out who he was! I have found what may be him on the 1841 census and all the way through his life till his death in Yorkshire. James, the Son of James & Ann of Skelwith Bridge never lived in Grasmere but I have found another James of Skelwith Bridge who married Elizabeth Harrington who did live in Grasmere. So, a candidate for these two's parents is William Birkett & Hannah Grave. In a newspaper article, it states the marriage at Grasmere, 1819, William of Skelwith Bridge. These two baptised three children at Grasmere, James 1820, John 1822, William 1824. (I have yet to trace John!). I am thinking that I need to find William's Father (William who married Hannah Grave). Hope this makes sense??

Offline Susan Blackstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I don't know whether this information is of any relevance.  I found in The Lakes Chronicle Saturday December 1878 the mention of the death of Miss Birkett of Middlerigg "the last representative of the ancient family of Birkett who was a granddaughter of the extinct family of Braithwaite of Ambleside Hall.  The estate was inherited by two nephews who were sons of a deceased sister.  Miss Birkett succeeded to the estate upon the death of her brother Mr William Birkett nearly seven years ago.  She died aged 75 and was buried in Troutbeck Churchyard on the 12th."

I also found on Lancashire Online Parish Project

Marriage 4 Sep 1873 St Paul Caton Lancs
William Birkett Full Age Bobbin Maker Bachelor
Margaret Elliott Full Age School Mistress Spinster
Groom's Father William Birkett Bobbin Maker
Bride's Father William Elliott Gardener
Witnesses Christopher Tennant, Ellen Elliott

Offline MJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan, Thank you for your reply. The newspaper article that you mention I do already have. The Miss Birkett is Grace, Sister of the William Birkett of Middleriggs, Troutbeck. (I have never found the connection to the Braithwaite's as mentioned in the article?). It is this William Birkett's will which mentions William Birkett of Cross Gill Mill. (too many William's)!! The marriage at Caton is of William Birkett of Cross Gill Mill, Caton, Son, William. I do know that William of Cross Gill Mill was married to Sarah Bradley at the old Wesleyan Chapel, Ambleside, 5th July 1846. I have been trying to locate the registers for this chapel without success! I thought it may say who the witnesses were? I may have to order a marriage certificate from GRO. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to post a reply. The search continues!!!

Offline Susan Blackstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 24 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been looking through more newspapers and you may have already come across this obituary printed in the Kendal Mercury 3/12/1870 and The Lancaster Gazette Supplement 10/12/1870.  It describes the life of Rowland Otley Birkett of Troutbeck who died after an illness.  He was the third son of the late Mr Rowland Birkett of Middlerigg where he was born and also the younger brother of the late Rev Stephen Birkett formerly incumbent of Langdale.  He was a Westmorland yeoman and statesman, well thought of and agent to Rev Fletcher Fleming of Rayrigg.  He never married and lived with his 2 maiden sisters one of whom died in the Spring of the present year.  His younger brother and two nephews assisted to form his domestic circle.  He was a man of large proportions with his grave measuring 7ft 8in and coffin 6ft 9in.  "From his many virtues, his genial kind-hearted qualities, combined with a large fund of quiet humour and anecdote the name of Robert Otley Birkett will not be forgotten in Troutbeck."

Good luck with your search!