Author Topic: William Campbell and a connection to the Kearney/Cairney or Conlon families  (Read 360 times)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Campbell and a connection to the Kearney/Cairney or Conlon families
« on: Thursday 15 February 24 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 This is a bit convoluted so bear with me!

William Campbell was the son of James Campbell, according to his 1857 marriage to my ancestor Mary Ann Richardson of Co Durham England. I have them in the 1861 census in Durham and William is out of the picture by 1868, as his wife has my ancestor Polly by another man, but no death for William found yet! The best fit for William, who is inconsistent with his age,going by birthplace given in 1861  is the one born at Mill Pit in Penshaw parish DUR. This William's mother died soon afterwards, and I do not know enough about James Campbell to be sure what happened to him.

So onto the Irish connection. In 1851 William born Shiney Row, which is in Penshaw DUR is living with William Stead and his wife Catherine nee Cairney( or variants thereof) in Gateshead, described as COUSIN. I find no link to William Stead, but..

in 1841 William is still in Gateshead with Philip Carney born Ireland, and his family, and he has a daughter Catherine born Scotland, so the cousin relationship is with the Carney family or possibly the Conlons

This is what I know about Philip Carney and his family. Philip was born around 1786 somewhere in Ireland and married Mary Conlon b. around 1796 in Ireland and they probably married  in Ireland before traveling to Scotland, where these children were baptized at St Andrews RC Church in Dumfries:

Grace chr 21 nov 1824

Catherine Chr 16 Sept 1827 a Barry Cairney was a sponsor

John born at Maxwelltown Kirkudbrightshire 5 Oct 1830 chr at Dumfries 10 Oct 1830 mother given as Mary Connellan.

John is lodging with some people in Gateshead in 1851 and in the household is a Patrick CONLEN age 80 widower and his son Bernard age 36 born Ireland, who may be related to Mary Conlon, mother of John Cairney. John stays in Gateshead and is found as Kearn(e)y in later records.

I have not been able to get any further back but am not familiar with researching Irish ancestors. So I am looking for how the Campbells may connect to this family, and the connection is probably somewhere back in Ireland. I know I am not actually related to them but this mystery has been intriguing me for a while. :)

Thank you
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell and a connection to the Kearney/Cairney or Conlon families
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 24 23:38 GMT (UK) »
'Catherine Chr 16 Sept 1827 a Barry Cairney was a sponsor'

The name Barry sticks out like a sore thumb to me.....are you sure it is not Barney, Bernie  or Barty from the more usual irish names of Bernard, and Bartholomew?  Perhaps a transcription error? 

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 24 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've looked at the image of the baptism of Catherine again and it could be " Barny" rather than Barry.
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 24 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Found who I think is Bernard aka Barny Cairney in Gateshead in 1841 born Ireland age 30, so born about 1807-11, with wife Elizabeth born Ireland same age and presumed  children Peter 13 and Susannah 11 both born Scotland.

Going by age could possibly be a son of Philip Cairney.

Marriage in Dumfries St Andrew between Bernard Cairney and Elizabeth McDeign 18june 1826.nothing of use in the register regarding parents, wit Edward Cross on Francis Walls.
No bapt found for Peter, but Susan (sic) born Maxwelltown born & bapt same day 19 june 1829 @Dumfries St Andrew.

As they were in Dumfries then Gateshead I am thinking they were part of the same family.
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS