Author Topic: Killegar - Smith - Cullen  (Read 3929 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Killegar - Smith - Cullen
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 February 24 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - the transcript gives England but you are correct, I think it is likely to be Ireland as the other family are just ‘Scot’.
I will amend.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 February 24 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I am just putting this out there. I have been puzzling over it as I do not know the areas, so could be very wrong.
Marriage - 1876 - Greenlough
Michael Marin and Margaret Killough. He is a shoemaker.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1876/11184/8097988.pdf

They had a son , John.baptised shortly before the marriage.
Death of Michael Marin 1896, Ballymacpeake, 1896
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05902/4674771.pdf

Son, John, shoemaker, died not long after.

1901 - Margaret ‘Mannon’ b Derry in Ballymacpeake
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Claudy/Ballymacpeake_Lower/1542365/

1911 - Margaret Marron b Antrim in Ballymacpeake
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Clady/Ballymacpeake_Lower/608661/

I have just found this birth
William b 1866 to Margaret Killough , Gortfad, Portglenone.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03545/2304756.pdf

No sign of Smith though

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 February 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the quick response.
There are 23 public trees for William.

One has him as William A Smith.
That one and 5 others have Margaret Killochan as his mother but they attach the baptism of Margaret Killegar to her.
17 trees have unknown parents or no publicly available events.

Birth
16 trees show birth as Grenagh, Cork with dates around December 1865 but no record.
Others have the Dublin birth or none.

Would you be able to post a snippet of the marriage record which shows his parents’ names?

Do you have evidence that Bridget Kelligar Cullen is a niece or has that been assumed from the Youghal records?

How do you know that William had no siblings?
I see someone else posted the marriage record.

The 1911 Scottish census shows William's birth place as Ireland as do all census records and his death record (see attached).

My father assures me that his father told him that William had no siblings.

Bridget is presumed a niece through Margaret's older brother Maurice Killegar (1837-1900).

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 February 24 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Glancing at the trees on Ancestry, it's difficult to quickly discern reliable information from other information.  But take the following example attached to a tree, it's a snippet for deciphering from a form 30A 'Canada, Ocean Arrivals' signed in February 1920 by a 56 year old married miner William Smith, arriving from Glasgow, who mentions a John Young (husband of a niece) and a mother-in-law Isabella Madden.

Is this the right William?  If so, I'm seeing 'County Derry Ireland'. I don't think it's 'Kerry'.
This is indeed him!

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 February 24 15:57 GMT (UK) »
And again attached to one of the trees, is a card from the U.S., Border Crossings from Canada to U.S., 1895-1960 collection, it's from 1921 and is for a 56 year old coal miner called William Smith and mentions his wife Catherine, in the following snippet the birth place looks like 'Green Lough Ireland' to me, open to views.

Is this the correct William?

BTW, I think there is a Greenlough in the Clady area of Co. Derry. :-\
I have never seen this one before :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 February 24 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.

You write:
“ Bridget is presumed a niece through Margaret's older brother Maurice Killegar (1837-1900).”

Again, that can be seen from the records.
Do you have the connection recorded elsewhere or has it just been taken from available online records and fitted together?

With regard to the Canadian forms, you can see that there is no Cork connection.

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 18 February 24 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.

You write:
“ Bridget is presumed a niece through Margaret's older brother Maurice Killegar (1837-1900).”

Again, that can be seen from the records.
Do you have the connection recorded elsewhere or has it just been taken from available online records and fitted together?

The latter

I appreciate all of the interest and the help you are providing! 

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 18 February 24 21:03 GMT (UK) »
And again attached to one of the trees, is a card from the U.S., Border Crossings from Canada to U.S., 1895-1960 collection, it's from 1921 and is for a 56 year old coal miner called William Smith and mentions his wife Catherine, in the following snippet the birth place looks like 'Green Lough Ireland' to me, open to views.

Is this the correct William?

BTW, I think there is a Greenlough in the Clady area of Co. Derry. :-\
I have never seen this one before :)
Unfortunately I can't see the original document in Family Search, is the original available in Ancestry? Find My past doesn't seem to have it. While the year of birth is a close match, without the original I can't tell if it is him or not, and if he was travelling with anyone it would also help. William and family immigrated to Canada to Kingston, Ontario in 1920 and moved to Toronto in 1921/22, so I'm not sure why a border crossing would have occurred in 1921.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 18 February 24 22:15 GMT (UK) »
As is often the problem with such things, legibility is an issue, I can't reproduce the whole card here, so if you could access it yourself on the 'Ancestry' website, that would be the best option.  The crossing took place at Niagara Falls N.Y. on 13 March 1921 and William's last permanent residence looks like 'Kensington Ont.' (which I'm assuming is a mishearing/misspelling of Kingston) followed by this, which I can't make out at all:

Nearest relative was given as 'Wife Catherine' of the same address. I think the card says that the person William was seeing was an Alexander Johnson of Scranton Pennsylvania, which the transcript accompanying the image states is his son-in-law, though I can't quite make it out from the image. 
And as I mentioned, for seaport and date of landing and name of steamship it gives 'Halifax Apr 15 1920 S.S. Cassandra' which is only 5 days out on the date.