Author Topic: Killegar - Smith - Cullen  (Read 4011 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Killegar - Smith - Cullen
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 22:11 GMT (UK) »
A question for OP:

Are the Cullens known to be related from family knowledge, or just assumed to be related, via the Kelligar family found in Youghal?

Asking as the Kelligars of Youghal are now looking very dubious as to being OPs ancestors.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 22:18 GMT (UK) »
They were discounted a while ago, if I recall.
See reply #19.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 22:24 GMT (UK) »
They were discounted a while ago, if I recall.
See reply #19.

The drift of my question is whether the impact on the Cullens has been considered, and whether they came into the picture by direct knowledge of a link, or only indirectly, via the discredited Killegar link. In which case they are gone too.

Also, not clear if OP is 100% that Killegar is gone....
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 29 February 24 23:56 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for not following this thread of late.

For the purposes of this discussion, I'll assume that the Killegar-Cullen connection is gone. I will only be certain that it is gone when I find out more information about William and Margaret.

I'm wondering if this thread should be moved or linked to the Londonderry forum for more assistance?

Just to recap:  my great-grandfather was William Smith born between 1863 and 1867 in Greenlough, Londonderry. The dates are in doubt because census and travel records indicate he was born in 1866 or 1867, his headstone is dated 1863, and other records I have indicate 1865. His parents were Michael and Margaret Smith. William married Catherine Madden Tallan in 1899 in Glasgow. On his marriage certificate, Michael is indicated as deceased, and Margaret's maiden name is indicated as Killochan (though I still have doubt that this is the correct spelling). I do not know when or where Michael or Margaret died. William and Catherine had four children in Glasgow, and moved to Kingston, Ontario, Canada in 1920. They later moved to Toronto in 1922. William died in Toronto in 1939 and Catherine in 1944 (both on January 3!). My grandfather was William's son James, and his son, my dad, is still alive and will be 92 this year.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 01 March 24 01:45 GMT (UK) »
OP - if you wish to move this thread to the Derry forum then just hit the "report to moderator" link in the bottom right a post box and make that request.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 01 March 24 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if there's been a bit of confusion here regarding the place Greenlough?

There is a Catholic Parish called Greenlough (Tamlaght O'Crilly civil parish)- mentioned briefly in reply #24-
https://www.greenlough.com/our-parish/our-parish-history/topography-and-nomenclature/

Family Search have this record- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5PK-BMN
William Smith, male, mother- Margaret Smith, Christening 24 May 1865 Tamlaght, County Londonderry, Ireland

There's also an earlier record which might, or might not, be connected-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5PK-9HS
Eleanor Mary Smith, female, mother- Margaret Smith, Birth 14 Jan 1860 Tamlaght, County Londonderry, Ireland
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 01 March 24 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey. You may well be right.
Is there a civil birth record for that William? I can’t see one.
Which Tamlaght would that be?

On one (or more records) William gives ‘Glenlough’ as his place of birth.

**should read Grenlough/Greenlough
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 01 March 24 11:16 GMT (UK) »
It's unclear from the FS record which Tamlaght. I also tried, and failed, to find a matching birth registration.

OP mentioned Greenlough this morning-
Just to recap:  my great-grandfather was William Smith born between 1863 and 1867 in Greenlough, Londonderry.

However, Glenlough is a separate location near Claudy (not Clady)-
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/tirkeeran/upper-cumber/bondsglen/glenlough/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 01 March 24 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if there's been a bit of confusion here regarding the place Greenlough?

There is a Catholic Parish called Greenlough (Tamlaght O'Crilly civil parish)- mentioned briefly in reply #24-
https://www.greenlough.com/our-parish/our-parish-history/topography-and-nomenclature/

Family Search have this record- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5PK-BMN
William Smith, male, mother- Margaret Smith, Christening 24 May 1865 Tamlaght, County Londonderry, Ireland

There's also an earlier record which might, or might not, be connected-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5PK-9HS
Eleanor Mary Smith, female, mother- Margaret Smith, Birth 14 Jan 1860 Tamlaght, County Londonderry, Ireland
Thanks so much for this! I'll pursue this lead further on the weekend. I actually found a site yesterday greenlough.com which is for the Tamlaght O'Crilly parish.