Author Topic: Killegar - Smith - Cullen  (Read 4028 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Killegar - Smith - Cullen
« Reply #117 on: Sunday 03 March 24 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes.
Perhaps the white space is a sign! I do want to stress that I set this off because of the connections (coincidences).

I have checked valuation books https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/searching-valuation-revision-books (Ancestry has them to 1910) and Michael Marron is the occupier, then crossed out with Margaret written above until the property is vacant in the last one 1911-1928.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Sunday 03 March 24 08:39 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 census, look at the way Margaret's surname is written as well as how County Derry is written - the enumerator or person who wrote down the info writes the letter 'r' as if it was 'n'.

Can you pl give a link to this entry. My census links are playing up and I cannot get to this at all. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Sunday 03 March 24 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I think this is William and family in 1931, Ontario.
This gives his birthplace as England with Irish parents.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6RS5-Q8X9

The transcription of his 1901 census in Shettleston, is ‘Ealand’ which could be Ireland or England, I suppose.

Ireland? Birthplace

It also says he, William Smith, is Protestant. Smith parents and WS born Ireland  and wife Catherine is RC born Scotland as is her mother. Her father born Ireland

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 03 March 24 09:23 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 census, look at the way Margaret's surname is written as well as how County Derry is written - the enumerator or person who wrote down the info writes the letter 'r' as if it was 'n'.

Can you pl give a link to this entry. My census links are playing up and I cannot get to this at all.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Claudy/Ballymacpeake_Lower/1542365/

The census site is not working for me either - have to go to it via Anc.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 03 March 24 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I think this is William and family in 1931, Ontario.
This gives his birthplace as England with Irish parents.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6RS5-Q8X9

The transcription of his 1901 census in Shettleston, is ‘Ealand’ which could be Ireland or England, I suppose.

Ireland? Birthplace

It also says he, William Smith, is Protestant. Smith parents and WS born Ireland  and wife Catherine is RC born Scotland as is her mother. Her father born Ireland

Oh dear!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 03 March 24 09:25 GMT (UK) »
OP - William Smith's marriage in Glasgow in 1899 - was that a Catholic marriage?

I think there has been an assumption that he was Catholic, due to the original Cork musings.
Yes it was -my great-grandmother Catherine was a devout Catholic all her life. My grandfather James renounced Catholicism as he disagreed with the views of the church.

That is significant because the baptism of a William Smith in Tamlaght in 1865 that Aghadowey found, was a Protestant. And in a completely different area.

The Toronto census in 1931 shows that William is Presb and Catherine is RC
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHJ-PQ53-33WZ?view=index&action=view

Have we confirmation from OP that this census is of his people? NB these say they came to Canada in 1919 rather than 1920.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 03 March 24 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Just skimmed through the posts here from yesterday & today and will have to go over everything more carefully but just a few comments about a few misconceptions which could lead to incorrect assumptions.

Sorry, I seemed to be lost in this thread about the 1911 Ireland census and whether or not Margaret was alive at that time. If she was I would presume she would be in County Londonderry, which was a part of Antrim at the time, and not in Tyrone. Can someone find that info again?  Thank you!
Londonderry and Antrim are separate counties as is Tyrone so not sure what the confusion is here.

The other point I wanted to make was the assumption that illegitimate Catholic children were known the the name of their father, is misleading. Whilst it may, or may not, be the case in other parts of Ireland it was not as a rule the case in Ulster. An illegitimate child was often known by the surname of whoever was looking after him/her at the time (unmarried mother or her family, stepfather, mother's partner, foster family, etc.). In the case of illegitimate children a surname could also change from record to record during the same period. For example, name in census might be different than what appears in school register.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sunday 03 March 24 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I seemed to be lost in this thread about the 1911 Ireland census and whether or not Margaret was alive at that time. If she was I would presume she would be in County Londonderry, which was a part of Antrim at the time, and not in Tyrone. Can someone find that info again?  Thank you!

That is not the Margaret Marron we have been researching from Antrim/Derry.
You posted a possible death in Tyrone.
I posted a census entry to discount her.
There was the difficulty with the age so further post to counteract that.

The main thing is - forget County Tyrone, please.

This is the one I was trying to link to William
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Clady/Ballymacpeake_Lower/608661/
Thank you!! However I'm having no luck finding a death record for her.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 03 March 24 14:29 GMT (UK) »
She may have died post 1922 when the records would be here https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/go-groni-online

I am hoping that aghadowey can offer some advice.