Author Topic: Killegar - Smith - Cullen  (Read 4032 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Killegar - Smith - Cullen
« Reply #153 on: Thursday 07 March 24 00:13 GMT (UK) »
That is disappointing but hopefully won't happen again now you know!  Always buy/copy the complete certificate & do not snip too close to the lines as sometimes people/priest wrote snippets outside the columns.  If the certificate was subsequently altered the regulation/reasons are usually noted outside the certificate  :)

The reason it is important to find out who registered the death is that if it was registered by an official say from the Workhouse/hospital they may not have really had any idea and may have been going on what Margaret or a younger relation told them.  If her death was registered by a relative then if it was say a son they might have a better idea than say a grandson.  Ages were not seen as important in thse days as we view them now.

The idea about the last illness is to see if she was suffering from a short or long term illness. She may have been admitted in extremis and died a few days/weeks later. In that case she may not have been able to give a coherent date and they may have relied on someone saying 'oh she was pretty old...probably in her 90s'. Or she may have had a long standing debility and gradually faded away. 

The idea of interrogating a death certifcate in this way is to see if the age is correct on the balance of probabilities/how much reliance you can place on it. 

Are you not able to view as opposed to having to purchase?

Could you pl advise the place name where she died.   

ETA is it this place? do you think?

https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/loughinsholin/tamlaght-ocrilly/clady/moneystaghan-macpeake/

We have had this census up before of a widowed Margaret living in House 44. In 1911 she gives her age as 68.  ETA I have clarified this sentence Add the 21 years from this record  to the date of the death notice and you get 89 years. 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Clady/Ballymacpeake_Lower/608661/

In this record 1911 there are 2 other Margaret Marrons in the same location.
The niece (Maggie) 35 (though it does look a bit like 85) of Hugh Marron and 9 month old twins called Mary & Margaret Devlin and noted as relatives.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002860484/

Thye could be named for the older Margaret the seamstress aged 68.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Thursday 07 March 24 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately Margaret Marron who died in 1932 was the widow of a James Marron, so not the same person. Given her age at her marriage, unless that is drastically off, I believe we are looking for a Margaret born around 1848.

Can you link to the marriage again pl, presumably you have linked to it prior?

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Thursday 07 March 24 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes it looks like Moneystaghan is the place where she died. I really don't think this is the Margaret and the 1911 census may not be her either given the age difference between what's on the marriage record. I think that age 38 for a woman's first marriage is a little old for the times too.

Attached is the marriage record of Margaret Killough and Michael Maren/Marron from 1876.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Thursday 07 March 24 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Shanreagh,
If you look at reply #144, I have mentioned some newspaper snippets re Margaret Marron.
I had mentioned this too:
‘ There is another snippet later in 1914 re Margaret Marron, of Dreenan being summoned re tenancy by George Millar of Glenone but not sure if it is the same person’.
I now see that Dreenan borders Ballymacpeake Lower so I would think it likely that is her in 1914.

I was sure I had posted re the Valuation Revision Books https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/searching-valuation-revision-books but amongst these many posts I can’t see her.
In VAL/12/B/34/10F (1911 - 1929) , 6d is marked vacant. According to the colour of the amendment , this seems to be 1912.
Prior to this, it was Michael Marron and amended to Margaret.

Added:
: VAL/12/B/34/13F (1911 - 1929) Dreenan
26AaB - George Miller possibly 1915 from John H Downing.

Margaret seems to have been around that area until 1914/15 at least.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Thursday 07 March 24 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the valuation for Ballymacpeake Lower-
In VAL/12/B/34/10F (1911 - 1929) , 6d is marked vacant. According to the colour of the amendment , this seems to be 1912.
I read the date as 1922.

There are several reasons knowing the informant for Margaret's death is important, not the least being who she was staying with at the time of her death. I've re-checked the Valuation books for Moneystaghan Ellis and Moneystaghan Ballymacpeake without noting any Killoughs or Marrons. There are Smiths in both but going from their Wills fairly well-to-do.

Moneystaghan has appeared earlier in this story as the birthplace of Margaret's 2nd son John Marron. Remember that he was born 25 Oct.1876, birth registered 13 Nov.1876 and Margaret married Michael Marron on 20 Nov.1876. At the time of the birth registration father Michael Marron's residence listed as Glenone.

Off to re-check a few more details before I post more but I wouldn't rule out the 1932 death just yet.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Thursday 07 March 24 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,
I don’t fully understand the valuation documents but I was going off the ink colour here which is blue for 1912.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t1o/

It doesn’t show 1922. Perhaps you have access to different records?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Thursday 07 March 24 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Wish I could do a screen shot both zooming in reverts to whole page  :(
VAL/12/B/34/10F (1911 - 1929) page 7 of 137 for Ballymacpeake Lower shows 6b. Margret Marron crossed out and Vac[ant] written in blue. Follow line across all the way to right side of righthand page and 1922 written in blue ink.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Thursday 07 March 24 12:12 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you  :)
I hadn’t gone across - just used the ink colour.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Thursday 07 March 24 12:14 GMT (UK) »
The ink colours have faded over the years. I remember trying to figure them out looking at the original books in PRONI years ago (purples and different shades of blue very similar) but I think the online images are actually clearer.