Author Topic: French document 1667 - need help deciphering the French text  (Read 946 times)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: French document 1667 - need help deciphering the French text
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 24 February 24 07:13 GMT (UK) »

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 24 February 24 09:08 GMT (UK) »
My source :
https://www.geneanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2482269&hilit=mil+six+cent+soixante+treize#p2482269

Thank you for that.
I had seen this way of writing the date once before, but didn't understand what it really meant. Now I know the explanation.

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 24 February 24 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I've transcribed the whole document, using joger's suggestions when I had trouble reading the words. I'm not 100% sure of everything. The last word of line 6 puzzles me. From the context one would expect a numeral. There's an H at the start of the word, although it seems there's another letter in front of it. The only one that fits is 8 (huit, huict, huiect, or another variant), but then there's a problem with the maths. To fit the bill we need a 5, because 5 times 6 livres 3 sols equals 30 livres 15 sols.

l'ance dudit fief de laquelle habitation ledit Saint Aubin a esté condamné
de deguerpir par arreste du conseil souverain de cette ville
le vingthuitieme jour des presentes mois et an, scavoir que ladite
dame d'Ailleboust payera audit Saint Aubin la somme de
cent vingt livres, et que ledit Saint Aubin demeurera quitte des couts
anuers d'arrerages de la somme de six livres trois sols pour hueit
annés fesant en tout la somme de trente livres quinze sols, moyennant
quoy laditte dame d'Ailleboust demeure quitte des charges de
toutes les protections et demandes dudit Saint Aubin pour sesdites travaux
et ameliorations par luy faits sur ladite terre size en l'ance dudit
Argentenay en quoy elle est obligée par ledit arrest susdatté. Car ainsy
et promettant etc obligeant etc renoncant etc fait et passé
audit Quebec estude du Notaire susdit et soubsigné le dernier jour
d'avril mil six cent soixante sept en presence de Jean Levasseur huissier
et de Claude Delaserre, demeurants audit Quebec tesmoins
qui ont avec ces partyes signé ce presentes,

Online manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 24 February 24 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Well done again, joger and Zefiro!

Just about to head out, but here's a rough translation of Zefiro's transcription using copilot. I always find translation of dame in these documents problematic, but a least this gives the gist of the document and it can be tweaked…

Regarding the portion of the said estate, from which dwelling the aforementioned Saint Aubin has been ordered to vacate by the decree of the sovereign council of this city on the twenty-eighth day of the current month and year, it is stipulated that the lady d’Ailleboust shall pay the sum of one hundred and twenty pounds to the said Saint Aubin. In return, Saint Aubin shall be absolved of the costs and arrears amounting to six pounds and three sols for eight years, making a total of thirty pounds and fifteen sols. Consequently, the said lady d’Ailleboust is relieved of the obligations related to all protections and claims made by Saint Aubin for the improvements and work he carried out on the aforementioned land situated in the vicinity of Argentenay, as mandated by the aforementioned decree. Thus, with these promises, obligations, and renunciations, this document is executed and signed in the study of the aforementioned Notary in Quebec on the last day of April in the year one thousand six hundred sixty-seven, in the presence of Jean Levasseur, bailiff, and Claude Delaserre, both residing in Quebec, who have also signed this document.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 24 February 24 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I ´ve just read in the Dictionnaire biographique du Canada  : St Aubin fut chassé en avril 1667 de la terre qu'il occupait dans l'île d ´Orleans par Madame D'Ailleboust, seigneuresse d'Argentenay.

Online manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 24 February 24 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I ´ve just read in the Dictionnaire biographique du Canada  : St Aubin fut chassé en avril 1667 de la terre qu'il occupait dans l'île d ´Orleans par Madame D'Ailleboust, seigneuresse d'Argentenay.

Interesting!
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 24 February 24 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Joger, Zeffiro, and Manukarik,

Once again, thank you each and every one of you for your brilliant work in deciphering my troublesome words. 

Very interesting inclusion, Joger, for the definition of my hieroglyphs.  Definitely, I can see how those characters can be stylized xvi C, now.  Also interesting that you found the reference to St. Aubin in the  Biographical Dictionary of Canada.  Yes, Louis d'Alliboust and Jean Serreau, Sr. St. Aubin, seemed to have quite a few interactions in notaries offices over the years.  This document resulted after an Appeal to the Sovereign Council by Jean was denied on 28 April.

Zeffiro, I have a question for you:  After more study, I see the last word on line 6 as “thunes”.  The word immediately preceding “thunes” seems to be “pour”.  The word immediately following it on the next line below, is “annés”.  For the phrase to make sense it should have been written “pour thunes annuel”.  Do you think that it's possible that the scribe mistakenly recorded the word as “annés”  so that the phrase in English should read "for money annually"?  This would eliminate the mathematical calculation as the total amount owing has been stated.

Thank you, once again, everyone.  I am grateful for all of your contributions.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 24 February 24 20:28 GMT (UK) »

Zeffiro, I have a question for you:  After more study, I see the last word on line 6 as “thunes”.  The word immediately preceding “thunes” seems to be “pour”.  The word immediately following it on the next line below, is “annés”.  For the phrase to make sense it should have been written “pour thunes annuel”.  Do you think that it's possible that the scribe mistakenly recorded the word as “annés”  so that the phrase in English should read "for money annually"?  This would eliminate the mathematical calculation as the total amount owing has been stated.

First of all I had to look up the word thunes, because I never heard of it. This word meaning 'money', it's not impossible to be written here.
But while staring at the word and trying to see it as thunes, I saw a problem with your suggested solution. The letter in front of the word would be a very peculiar T, with an even more odd looking crossbar.

I think the horizontal stroke is a sign of a shortened word, like pntes at the end.
My solution for this: ch(ac)un des

What do you think? It avoids the maths and doesn't need a scribe's mistake.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 24 February 24 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree with Zephiro's suggestion : chacun (e) . I must confess that I did not read the full translated text.

6 livres 3 sols X 5 = 30 livres 15 sols