Author Topic: Admitted to Cardiff Union Work House then moved to Liverpool 1921??  (Read 296 times)

Offline Trudle83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Admitted to Cardiff Union Work House then moved to Liverpool 1921??
« on: Thursday 15 February 24 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help shed light on if and/or why a child would have been admitted to the Cardiff Union Work House after an adoption to join his Sister before being moved on to a orphanage/boarding school all the way in Liverpool in 1921?

Background:

Where always told my great-grandfather came from Wales but ran away from a 'boarding school' when he was 14 where he was sent after both his parents died close together of the Spanish Flu.

I believe I have located him and his sister on a glamorgan workhouse record that indicates she was admitted in 1919 followed by him in 1921 for a short time (2 days) before what i ASSUME was a transfer to Liverpool.

I am looking to see if the workhouse was linked to any specific home/school/orphanage so I can whittle down the list of possible locations to search registers as according to the childrenshomes.org.uk site there are over 300 locations in the Liverpool area!!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Admitted to Cardiff Union Work House then moved to Liverpool 1921??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 24 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I believe workhouses were responsible for admissions for anybody living in the area covered by the individual workhouse; any admitted and then found to be from outside the area would be transferred to the area they came from (and were therefore responsible for their care).

Have you found your great g/f and his sister on the 1921 census? Or their birth certificates?
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 24 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Why do you think he was transferred to Liverpool?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trudle83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 24 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I believe he was transfered to Liverpool from cardiff as I have been told he was from cardiff but 'ran away' from a boarding school in liverpool

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 24 15:06 GMT (UK) »
What happened to the sister after she was admitted - where did she end up if you know?

after an adoption to join his Sister

Can you clarify that please? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 February 24 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I am assuming you are trying to prove where your ggf was actually born - is that correct?

Presume you have both him & his sister  on the 1939 register with their full birthdates??

Much simpler if you give us their full names/birthdates/ plus their parents details

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello there
I have done research on a boy  transfered from a workhouse in Glamorgan to Liverpool orphange run by Barnados
Sadly he was sent to Canada to work on a farm and had a dreadful life but managed when older returning to Llantrisant in Glamorgan

Heddwch.
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall