Author Topic: Newly found travelling family Brinkley.  (Read 368 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newly found travelling family Brinkley.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 February 24 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Kay99 post

In 1881 there is this family living with other familes in a group of caravans abbutting to Wardle St Wandsworth including a father James, brother Henry and mother Lydia

James Mills   29  Pedlar  Kingston, Surrey
Lydia Mills   28 b Not Known
James Mills   10  Hackney Middlesex
Henry Mills   7 Holloway, Middlesex

MILLS, HENRY       mmn BARRETT 
GRO Reference: 1874  M Quarter in WANDSWORTH  Volume 01D  Page 607

SS

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 February 24 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi what a can of worms. Havd opened . Names appear nterchangable , I am thinking ( hoping ) cousins are marrying each other tho may be step siblings . It’s all rather confusing . It appears Christian names go backwards and forwards in family . But thank you for all the help . I think I will delegate back to my second cousin . I did manage to find her Romani roots verifying her 3 % Romany . Thanks all . Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 February 24 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I have found a new second cousin and we are working together . She was bought up being told her gt gt grandmother  Annie Alice nee Brinkley lived in a caravan and was from a travelling family .
... is there anyone who can give me some Romani history and where we go from here to have any proof and social history . The family appears to have settled in Edmonton London .
A witness name was Lydia Franklin I think née Welch . Thanks Fred .

Franklin and Welch are also Traveller surnames. if you want to read about the social history of the Travelling community I found Jeremy Harte's Travellers Through Time very enjoyable.  It's published by Reaktion Books https://reaktionbooks.co.uk/work/travellers-through-time
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas