Author Topic: Edward McEvoy of Newark, NJ  (Read 362 times)

Offline Irish Connection

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward McEvoy of Newark, NJ
« on: Friday 16 February 24 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Edward was born in Ireland, baptised 22 Jan 1837 in Ballinakill in Laois. His parents were Michael McEvoy and Catherine Fitzgerald. He later shows up on a wedding certificate in Newark with these details.

He married Julia Foyle, also from Laois, born c 1850. They had one child together, recorded as "Elen McEvoy", in 1876. She passed away in 1878 aged 28. Julia had been living at 8 Reynolds Avenue per her gravestone, and I have a matching street directory of Edward at this address in 1879, employed as a printer.

Unfortunately, I have come up with nothing after this date. I can't find any record of the child or of Edward anywhere ??? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward McEvoy of Newark, NJ
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 24 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Julia McEvoy was buried  Holy Sepulchre Cemetery plot Way of saints 8 - 3

There is an Ellen McEvoy buried 17 June 1880  Way of Saints 15 - 2 no age given

Offline Irish Connection

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 24 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Julia McEvoy was buried  Holy Sepulchre Cemetery plot Way of saints 8 - 3

There is an Ellen McEvoy buried 17 June 1880  Way of Saints 15 - 2 no age given

Thanks for the reply :)
There are transcriptions for the graves available on findagrave: Julia's helps confirm Edward's street address in Newark, while the transcription for Ellen's grave reads: "33 years; born in Ireland; died Nutman Street, Newark, NJ", which is unfortunately the incorrect person.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 24 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Here's a possible thought? Did Edward move and get remarried after Julia's death and start a new family?

Here is an Edward McEvoy, about the right age from Ireland, in the 1880 census across the river in Queens, NY. He married to a woman who is only 21 years old.

A daughter Ella (short for Elen?) is listed, she 5 years old, born in New Jersey. Her age being five would suggest the Margaret is not her mother, unless she had her when she was 16 years? If true that would mean that Edward would have been 35 years old at time. A 35-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl being married and having a child, I doubt it.

There is another daughter listed, Katie, born in Queens (Astoria). She is 1 year 3 months old, which would mean she was born, March 1879. If Julia died 2 Jan. 1878, there would have been plenty of time for Edward to get married to Margaret and then have child by her in March 1879.

1880 Census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZFW-YCT

Offline Irish Connection

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 24 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying with all that information.

I think there is a likelihood that that's the Edward McEvoy from Newark. The daughter Ella being born in New Jersey is particularly assuring, at the least confirming a connection to that state. I will have to search for more records, particularly marriage, for this family to see if I can find a link. Thanks again.

Offline Irish Connection

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 February 24 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it seems the parish records of the Diocese of Brooklyn in New York haven't been digitised or centralised, and the civic register for Queens began years later. I have contacted a church whose records might help clear up some ambiguity.

I do know at least, that in the 1880 US census there was no Edward McEvoy living at 8 Reynolds Avenue in Newark, having searched the images. There was also no Edward McEvoy recorded as a widower in the 1880 census as far as transcribed records will reveal.

I will continue to pursue the New York parish records to see if I can put evidence behind the connection (any other advice is appreciated). Thanks all.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 February 24 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Great find, RJ137.

In 1880, that Edward’s occupation was Japaner. 

1877 Newark, New Jersey Directory
Edward McEvoy, japanner, h 183 Central

Perhaps the occupation was common in the area, around that time, but it seems too coincidental not to be the same man, especially given the fact that there were very few McEvoy’s listed in the Newark directories.

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 February 24 19:21 GMT (UK) »
…Here is an Edward McEvoy, about the right age from Ireland, in the 1880 census across the river in Queens, NY. He married to a woman who is only 21 years old.

A daughter Ella (short for Elen?) is listed, she 5 years old, born in New Jersey. Her age being five would suggest the Margaret is not her mother, unless she had her when she was 16 years? If true that would mean that Edward would have been 35 years old at time. A 35-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl being married and having a child, I doubt it.

There is another daughter listed, Katie, born in Queens (Astoria). She is 1 year 3 months old, which would mean she was born, March 1879. If Julia died 2 Jan. 1878, there would have been plenty of time for Edward to get married to Margaret and then have child by her in March 1879…

According to the 1880 census
Edward - born Ireland, as were parents.
Margaret - born New York City, parents born Ireland
Ella - born New Jersey, father born New York(?), mother born Ireland
Katie - born Astoria, father born New York, mother born Ireland

Was there a mixup with the childrens’ parents’ birthplaces or ?   ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 February 24 19:48 GMT (UK) »
…A daughter Ella (short for Elen?) is listed, she 5 years old, born in New Jersey. Her age being five would suggest the Margaret is not her mother, unless she had her when she was 16 years? If true that would mean that Edward would have been 35 years old at time. A 35-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl being married and having a child, I doubt it…

Unfortunately it seems the parish records of the Diocese of Brooklyn in New York haven't been digitised or centralised, and the civic register for Queens began years later. I have contacted a church whose records might help clear up some ambiguity.

I do know at least, that in the 1880 US census there was no Edward McEvoy living at 8 Reynolds Avenue in Newark, having searched the images. There was also no Edward McEvoy recorded as a widower in the 1880 census as far as transcribed records will reveal.

I will continue to pursue the New York parish records to see if I can put evidence behind the connection (any other advice is appreciated). Thanks all.

Perhaps I’ve missed something (highly likely)  ;D but “1880” Ella appears to have been Edward’s and Julia’s daughter:

New Jersey Births and Christening Index
Elen Mc Evoy
Christening Age: 0
Birth Date: 1 January 1876
Birth Place:  Saint Patricks Pro-Cathedral-Catholic, Newark, Essex, New Jersey
Christening Date: 5 March 1876
Christening Place: Saint Patricks Pro-Cathedral-Catholic, Newark, Essex, New Jersey
Residence Place:  Newark, Essex, New Jersey, USA
Parents: Edward McEvoy and Julia Foyle