Author Topic: Any ideas where my ancestor's picture was published?  (Read 486 times)

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Any ideas where my ancestor's picture was published?
« on: Friday 16 February 24 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Years ago I was sent poor quality line engraved picture of my ancestor John James Thornhill 1764-1857. He was a Cutler and traded from 144 New Bond Street, London.
I have been trying to find out what publication it appeared in ever since in the hope that I can obtain a copy in context.
Any help or ideas where to look would be most welcome, or maybe someone can succeed where I have failed!
The business was taken over by his son Walter when he retired, and was a supplier of chatelaines and other goods to Queen Victoria.
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas where my ancestor's picture was published?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 24 12:32 GMT (UK) »
A probable shot in the dark, but have you had a look at the book mentioned in the bibliography here https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG80040? (John Culme, 'The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths 1838-1914', Woodbridge 1987)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 24 15:02 GMT (UK) »
A probable shot in the dark, but have you had a look at the book mentioned in the bibliography here https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG80040? (John Culme, 'The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths 1838-1914', Woodbridge 1987)
Thank you for the suggestion, but no luck there unfortunately.
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 24 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There's a tree on Ancestry that has the same photo ( but cropped,  ie without  the surrounding frame  that you have in your pic) ,which was " originally "shared  by the tree owner way back on 8 May 2014.
If this isn't  your tree(?) , maybe the tree owner could  tell  you where she aquired it from . Tree is owned by a Humphries

Then there's  another tree , which the pic is  exactly like yours  ( with the whole surrounding frame like yours) ,and this was shared 2 years later ( tree owner  MCmctallen80)  in 2016 b( so maybe not copied from the first tree as it has the  frame, unlike the first  one in 2014) , maybe they have both independently found  a picture of him. (Also there is another  tree in 2019, but I assume this was copied from the tree in 2016 tree -( as has same frame)

If either of the trees aren't  yours, ( especially the oldest shared  one  in 2014, without the  frame ) maybe they can tell you where they aquired the photo,  both owners are active/ signed  in within the past few days
Kind regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 February 24 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Not what you seek but he did make the papers

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/record/t18260216-51/about/crimes