Author Topic: Colourisation of B&W Photos  (Read 588 times)

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colourisation of B&W Photos
« on: Friday 16 February 24 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I would like to try my hand at colourising my old family photos, which are in black and white.

I have had an initial dabble using a couple of programs I discovered, with mixed results - mainly acceptable, but some less so. These include (as examples) a wedding shot where the bouquet is of red carnations, but which come out black, or a group shot where shadowing on a young lads legs comes out a strange bluish hue.
I was wondering which software the RC experts use, and whether outcomes like the above examples are regular and insurmountable?

Thanks in advance. Any pointers gratefully received.

Regards
ReadyDale

Online Uhnnohn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Colourisation of B&W Photos
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 24 01:40 GMT (UK) »
I have found this tutorial easy to understand and works well
Note that you would require a Photoshop subscription
But you can cancel that when done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO9nv2f0oEw

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 24 11:18 GMT (UK) »
PS's Neural Filters have improved  since they were first introduced but colourising is really not too good. It adds strange colours to shadows and some attempts are really weird.

So far, I've not found any AI programs that can produce the authentic/natural colour that our more traditional techniques achieve. 

It takes longer to both learn and achieve but produces much better results.

Gadget

Add - I've used PS CC for many years and any colouring has been done selectively with layers, etc.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 24 07:19 GMT (UK) »
The results of programs that add colors to images in an automated manner are mixed and inconsistent due to the interference of the machine’s understanding of shade gradations. The best way to add colors is to add them manually using programs such as Photoshop or GIMP. You must first master the skills of identifying the element you want to color and how to add colors, any program. You will have to watch YouTube to learn how to control the coloring program. Good luck

Offline Foto1900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 24 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Programs can color the background well, but the clothes, the face is better to paint with a brush in Photoshop.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 February 24 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Photoshop or Gymp

Personally I subscribe to Photoshop.

There is a steep and long learning curve to go though.

Watch some tutorials, Anthony Morganti is one of the best to work through to get going but Adobe’s own also has excellent learning resources.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 February 24 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I have seen many examples of colouring photos using the AI ap and haven't been impressed as the results are patchy and unrealistic.
In common with other restorers on here, I use Photoshop Elements and find that I get the results that I like.
In my opinion, It needs be be remembered that when using colouring apps, one must be respectful of the historic nature of the photos that are posted here, the "taken yesterday" appearance of old photos is not a good look.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 February 24 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry not to have responded to replies sooner, but have been laid low with the "mega cough" that has been doing the rounds.
Thanks to everyone who has replied here (or via PM). I will look closer at PS and Gymp, look at the demos, and see how/if my skills are up to the task.

Many thanks again.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 February 24 18:06 GMT (UK) »
All it takes is patience and a lot of practise. Once you have learnt what all the tools do, you will soon pick it up.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU