Author Topic: Rachel COOKE (COOK) birth c1859  (Read 255 times)

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandfather Alexander Allison in 1916
    • View Profile
Rachel COOKE (COOK) birth c1859
« on: Saturday 17 February 24 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hiya.

Trying my best to try find her but needing help.

I'm looking for the birth of a Rachel Cook somewhere in America about 1859. Parents are James Thomas Cooke (Cook) and Martha Docherty (surname varies ALOT).

James and Martha married in 1855 in Renfrew, Scotland. Then they vanish and then they appear back in Scotland 1864 for the birth of another child back in Renfrew. In 1871 Martha is with Rachel and her boys, a widow and Rachel is only listed as being born in America.

Rachel died in 1876 aged 17 and in 1871 she's aged 12.

If anyone can help find the birth and family that would be great!

Gary
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Blantyre, Lanarkshire - Gibson, Hamill, McInulty
Avondale, Strathaven - Mulligan, Dempsey
Glasgow - Sinclair, Allison, McFarlane
Renfrewshire - Allison
Perthshire - Sinclair, Roy, Donaldson
Edinburgh and Caithness Thurso - Sutherland
Edinburgh and Ayrshire - Sheridan

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel COOKE (COOK) birth c1859
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 24 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Where and when were Rachel’s parents born, please?  What was James Thomas’ occupation, please?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 24 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Martha was born in Antrim, Ireland. The dates vary. I have a birth for her in 1825 on Ancestry but records are going to sometimes 1835.

Not sure about James as I cant find him on a census anywhere in Scotland. Can't even find his death. He's dead by 1891 but Alice in 1865 when he signed his mother in laws death cert.

I have found them though now in America in 1860. James was a boilermaker and Martha is listed as born in Scotland.

They also have another daughter Mary Jane born Oct 31st 1856 in Glasgow Scotland, but yet again. She's not there in 1871 with the family and has vanished. If she's died in America I don't know where other than they ate listed in Missouri on the census return from 1860

Martha's brother Matthew is also missing in Scotland. He is there in 1855 to sign their dad's death cert. But there's no marriage or death or even census records for him. He's 23 in 1855 and thought perhaps he's moved to America and that's why Martha has went over. He was born in Ireland too and in 1851 he's not on the census in Scotland

Gary
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Renfrewshire - Allison

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 24 05:34 GMT (UK) »
James and Martha married in 1855 in Renfrew, Scotland.

The marriage certificate gives information about his and her parents.
WHat does it say?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 24 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Just to help others, this is the 1860 census in St Loius, Missouri
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MH89-8QP

It looks like Rachel's place of birth is Lsa - Louisiana.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 February 24 06:12 GMT (UK) »
1871 census for Martha and Cooke family
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5b91a8c8f4040b176c90f094/martha-cook-1871-renfrewshire-port-glasgow-1832-?locale=en

Their sons born in Port Glasgow in 1863 and 1866, and Martha is a widow by 1871, so a narrow window for the death of James Thomas Cooke – but nothing obvious in Scotland.

1851 census for Martha and Docherty family
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a154ee5f4040b9d6e617c8b/martha-dougherty-1851-renfrewshire-houston-killellan-1829-?locale=en

Also in Houston in 1851 (where they were married) possible for James Cook
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a154eddf4040b9d6e616dba/james-cook-1851-renfrewshire-houston-killellan-1826-?locale=en
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 24 14:22 GMT (UK) »
On the marriage it says they lived in Glasgow but married bridge of weir in Renfrew.

He is 24 and born in derry Ireland. She's 26 born in ballymoney, Antrim. Ireland. Both parents are alive John docherty and Rachel Gillespie and John Cooke and Mary Jane Craig.

Seeing now both daughter were named after the grandmother's. But Mary Jane the daughter does not appear to be back in Scotland.
Renfrewshire - Allison

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 24 14:34 GMT (UK) »
OK so I have found daughter Mary Jane now. Dead 1870. Father is listed as dead too. But there is literally no deaths suitable at all for a James cook/e in Scotland between 30-50 that has died from 1865-1870. I've accessed all the ones available. Big waste of money, but it's looking like James didn't die in Scotland. Could he have went back to America and died and then the family came back afterwards. Just seems odd that in 5 years he can't be found in Scotland but could sign his mother in laws death cert in 65. He's always been a boilermaker as well.

And by the looks of it as well, Martha's sister Rachel had kids that died young like Martha. Her brother Matthew has vanished as well after signing his father's death cert in 1855 so possibly might not have had a family himself. And the only sibling left with her sister Margaret where I come from and Margaret's kids died young or had kids that then had dead young kids. I've managed to make it through lol so I'm very much alone in researching haha do don't even get leads from ither trees or dna

Gary

Renfrewshire - Allison