Author Topic: Mary Byrne / Maria Burns  (Read 130 times)

Offline Eliza Ann Sullivan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Byrne / Maria Burns
« on: Saturday 17 February 24 05:13 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for my great great grandmother.  Maria Burns / Mary Byrne.

Maria Byrne married John Connolly Sept 1855 in Liverpool 8B 546.  Names recorded as Joannis Connally and Maria Byrne. The marriage gives the father's names as Andrew and Thomas which is given to their later children.

However, at baptism of Eliza Ann Connolly dob 2/03/1865  baptised 14th March 1865 at St Anthonys Catholic Church mother's maiden name is given as Byrnes.

Spelling then varies to Joannis Connally and Maria Burns at the baptism of Andrew Thomas Connally Dob 21/12/1862 baptised 4th January 1862 at St Albans Church Liverpool.

In 1861 Census Mary Conolly aged 26 is head of the household and she is recorded as a mariner's wife (family history) and born in Ireland. When she registers her daughter Rose Ann CONLEY 1859, she gives her maiden name as BURNS.

With so many variations in the spelling of surnames it gets difficult to be sure if I am on the correct Mary Burns /Maria Byrne 

I can't trace her back to Ireland and I am desperate to follow this maternal line - I find you can be surer of your maternal line than the paternal one - most of the time!  They didn't have DNA in those days!

Any assistance would be great.  Thank you

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Byrne / Maria Burns
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 24 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Your related thread (missing your response)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=880262.9

As births are before civil registration it will be difficult to find more information unless you know the exact parish that she came from.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)