Author Topic: Translation of Latin will/probate  (Read 220 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Translation of Latin will/probate
« on: Saturday 17 February 24 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at this probate from 1686, Robert Adnam died intestate. There is also an inventory.

Any offers for a translation?

A start -
15 Sept 1686
- - Robert Adnam  of St MaryBourne in Coun' Southton (County of Southampton) of Winton - - William Adnam - - - - Abintestate son of Intestate - -
I'm mainly lost after that, other than the occasional word.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of Latin willprobate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 24 18:17 GMT (UK) »

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 24 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Ancestry ...

Appeared personally Robert Adnham of the parish of St Marybourne in the county of Southampton and the diocese of Winchester, and he alleged that William Adnham, bachelor, lately whilst he lived of the aforesaid parish, died intestate, or by way of intestacy (without making a will), on the twelfth day of April last past, and that he the aforesaid Robert Adnham was and is the natural and lawful brother of the said deceased, for which reason he requested that letters of administration of all the goods etc. of him, the said deceased, be granted and committed to him (suitable security for it having to be put in place), and the rights, etc. which the lord granted as requested.
Sworn before me, George Bramston, surrogate

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 24 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bookbox.

Where did you find that?

Margaret

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 24 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I just translated it for you, using the image on Ancestry, before you had uploaded the resized image!

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 February 24 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Ahh! Thought you had found a translation at Ancestry.

'A' William Adnam of St Mary Bourne was my 8G grandfather - I thought that Robert might have been his father.

I certainly thought that I could read 'William Adnam - - - - Abintestate son of Intestate - -

Thank you very much for clarifying.

Margaret

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 February 24 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I certainly thought that I could read 'William Adnam - - - - Abintestate son of Intestate - -

The bit that I think you’re looking at reads:
... Abintestato, seu p(er) viam Intestat(is) (nullo per eum condito Testam(en)to) …
... intestate, or by way of intestate (no will having been made by him) …

3 lines below that, you have
…fuisse et esse fratrem n(atu)ralem et l(egi)timum …
… to have been and to be the natural and lawful brother …

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 24 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once more.
I did Latin at school, many years ago, but even that would not have helped me very much!

Margaret